Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Printing wirelessly without the printer disc

• Please log in to reply

demonfoxity88

demonfoxity88

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a new Pavilion dv6 laptop equipped with Windows 7 Professional and I know my dad's working printer does wireless printing because it has a button on the front that says wireless but I was told that I would need the printer's installation disc but I nobody knows where it is. Can I possibly set it up without it?

Advertisements

dennisK16

dennisK16

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

I have a new Pavilion dv6 laptop equipped with Windows 7 Professional and I know my dad's working printer does wireless printing because it has a button on the front that says wireless but I was told that I would need the printer's installation disc but I nobody knows where it is. Can I possibly set it up without it?

just go to the printer manufactures website and download the drivers/software for the printer that you have.
for example www.hp.com/ or http://www.brother-usa.com/

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Windows 7 has many printer drivers built in. If it is a common printer, it may be included too. I would just try to Add a printer, and follow the prompts to add a network printer and see what happens.

You do NOT need the printer installation disk. In fact, I generally recommend NOT using those disks as they typically foist all kinds of stuff you don't need on your hard drive. All you need is the basic driver(s). If Windows does not support your natively, then I agree to check the printer makers site. And make sure you select the correct one, including 32 or 64-bit.