Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help and advice needed on DTP Edit/Retro Gaming Machine

• Please log in to reply

EvilVonBek

EvilVonBek

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hopefully someone can help with all or some of the topic, and first of all thanks in advance to all who even read this even if you can't help as your time and intrest is appreciated.

Machine Specs & Use

Use : Basic DTP & Image Editing, DVD Playback, Retro Gaming ( Shandalar/Spellforce/Civ III&IV era )

CPU & Ram : AMD Athlon 64 x2 3200+, currently 2 x 512mb paired DDR400 CL3 ( will soon become 3 x 1gb unpaired )
Mobo : Jetway K7 IDE/SATA Raid Board
HDD : OS drive : Barracuda 80gb
Games/ Storage : 2 x 80gb Barracuda setup in mirror
access
External storage : LaCie 450gb optical

Sound : Turtle Beach ( can't remember name ) 5.1 surround out
Graphics : Sapphire X1650 Pro 512mb AGP 8x

OS : XP Pro 32bit ( I'll take stability over performance ) SP3
Main Programs ran :
Photoshop CS
Gimp 2
VLC player
ATiTrayTools ( to force fan use on GPU for 3D after couple of
overheat issues )
ASC 4 Pro
CCleaner
O&O Defrag Pro v14
K-Lite Codecs mega-full including JAV codecs ( I like my HKAC
Movies )
Office 2007 Ultimate

Games : as said nothing more intensive than Dungeon Siege, Mechcommander kind of era

As said, looking for help and advice on this.

Getting ready to do a clean OS and utils install after Catalyst stopped working ( I use a twin display desktop for Photoshop etc ) and even after trying every thing I could find from rollbacks to manually cleaning drivers, GAC entries, manual uninstalls of utilities and reg cleans and even DriverSweep purges it won't re-install and is throwing up CLI, MoM and post-install installer errors ( drivers work fine ).

What I'm wondering is:

1) Is catalyst the best for stability ( I need to be able to expand and keystone the displays as one is a panasonic 42" tv-monitor and the other is an Apple-Color 24", also alter Hue/Saturation and colour-profiles on both displays ) or even the right control or should I be using HydraVision?

2) For whichever Advanced Card Tool turns out to be right which is the most up to date but fully stable, and preferably signed, version you would recommend?

3) Do any of the programmes listed have known glitches/conflicts with the card/mobo and if so is there a comparable software that you would recommend? ( self-employed so replacing software can be written off against tax so unless you start suggesting Maya or Avid not a problem )

Hope someone can help, even if it's just with parts of it.

And again thanks to anyone taking the time to view this post, even if you can't help your time is appreciated.

Advertisements