Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dimension 5100 Chipset driver issues - PLEASE HELP

• Please log in to reply

mumblermatt

mumblermatt

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi,

Will try to be as detailed as possible but am happy to provide any further information if needed.

Ok, i have a dimension 5100, windows was recently re-installed on the pc (by previous owner) and ever since there has been a problem loading the chipset drivers. I have used the dell support page and am trying to install the media accelerator driver (945G graphics controller) and the 82945G Express Chipset Family. When trying to install the graphics controller, it tells me that my system does not meet minimum requirements (even though DELL tell me, after scanning my machine, that this is the driver i need) when i try to install the chipset family it tells me some files are missing or corrupt.

I have searched other forums and found multiple problems similar to mine, but so far no solution.

Have used this site before to remove malware, of this same PC, and was completely impressed with how helpful everyone is, but i am just going round in circles with this problem. Please can anyone help.

Many thanks

Matt

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Are you using the "chipset software installation utility".Install instructions are included on each page.

http://support.dell....1&fileid=150654

Make sure you have the graphics controller and express chipset family drivers.

Graphics controller
http://support.dell....1&fileid=127331

Express chipset family
http://support.dell....1&fileid=168176

SRX660

mumblermatt

mumblermatt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Yes I have already installed the installation utility, this installs without a problem. The other two drivers you listed are the drivers I have already been trying to install, and they are still appearing with the same errors. This is where I was getting stuck from reading previous threads.
I am considering just buying a new graphics card anyway, which should hopefully resolve the issue, however it is really bugging me that the drivers DELL tells me I need for the system they provided, can just cause error after error.
If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it

Many thanks

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Did you install the drivers in the correct order, details @ http://support.dell....4&isLegacy=true

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
From other forums i look thru there are lots of people with the same problem as you. Many have found that you must uninstall the old drivers out of device manager then when you reboot and a windows pops up saying windows has found new hardware, you point to the files you have on the computer. and they also used newer drivers from the intel website and not the dell drivers.

From the dell forums

Hi, I own a Inspiron E1405 w/ the Intel 945GM Chipset w/ Vista installed. I checked the Dell driver support website and saw that graphics driver for Vista section isn't up to date (drivers from 1/23/2007) while the Intel website is (drivers released 7/2/2007). That being the case I download the drivers for the 945 from Intel but when went to install it it gave me an error of driver not being validated for my laptop. What's the deal with this? Is there any to keep my graphic card up to date without going to Dell because its obvious they haven't been updating their driver section for vista. Vincent

answer
Try this, extract the Intel exe file to an empty folder using winrar, winzip or other tool.
Open device manager and expand the Display adapters to show the Intel adapter, right click on it and choose "update driver" then choose, "browse computer for driver software" Navigate to the folder where you extracted to and go to the "Graphics" folder, highlight the Graphics folder and hit OK, then next, see if it will install this way.

REanswer
I did as you mentioned and extracted the file and going through the manual path of updating the drivers for the my 945GM mobile chipset. However the driver for the graphic card is still not updated, its still at 7.14.10.1147, it should be at 7.14.10.1295. -Vincent

Finally!!!!

got it to work, i had to go and uninstall the driver from the card completely and then ran the setup file within the graphic driver package that i extracted from Intel and then it finally ran through and did its thing. I got the same message if I just ran it from the installation file so i'm guessing that it does some kind of checks after its extracts the file???? Who knows.

Such a hassle for something that should be routine. Anyway thanks for everyone's help, especially mombodog, props :-).

-Vincent

Hope this helps
SRX660