Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Print not spooling

• Please log in to reply

brotherdarryl

brotherdarryl

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have a client that has purchased a HP 7760 Printer and has Windows XP Pro. Every time the printer goes into sleep mode, you cant "wake it up." You tell it to print and nothing happens. HP has swopped out the printer with a new one and no success. I have downloaded and installed updates from HP's website also without success. Basically the only thing that works is to stop the print spooler sevice and restart it, only then it will print, and the service is set to start automatically. Does the spooler service perhaps go into sleep mode?
Has anyone had a problem like this before? What can I try?
Please Help!

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I have run into this repeatedly with lexmark printers and invariably it requires new firmware.

But, before going down that road...USB printer? Have you tried setting the USB ports in device manager so that windows power management cannot disable the ports?

brotherdarryl

brotherdarryl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
yeah. I have tried that, and thought it worked! But unfortunatly didnt.
New Firmware,(on the printer?) is that something i can do, like updating the bios?

Guest_yezpahr_*

Guest_yezpahr_*
Hmm, BIOS-update for usb-printer? Try to update your drivers for the USB if you are still on Win98. If you are still on win98, go to the other forum.

I would recommend installing new drivers for you USB-printer. I don't know much about printers, except that I don't have one. I don't run any proces that uses a printer and I cannot print even if I would install a printer. So I just killed all print processes and deleted their origin. You need that printer, so I wouldn't recommend you doing that. Like I said: search for updates about your printer. Maybe it will be fixed when you re-install the printer. Back-up any waiting files to get printed so you can print them when you re-installed it.

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Are you connected via USB to computer? or USB to print server/network? I have heard of HP having that very same "sleep" problem when connected via print server, but at the moment, not any ideas why that makes the huge difference. Unless the print server is actually what is going to sleep...

Greazy Mcgeezy

brotherdarryl

brotherdarryl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Are you connected via USB to computer? or USB to print server/network?  I have heard of HP having that very same "sleep" problem when connected via print server, but at the moment, not any ideas why that makes the huge difference.  Unless the print server is actually what is going to sleep...

Greazy Mcgeezy

View Post

Yes, connected via USB, directly to the PC. My next option is to reload Windows, but dont nessesarly want to do that.