Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

asus altec srs

• Please log in to reply

40vern

40vern

• PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
i have this asus that is about 2 years old. i want to give it away to my sister in law over seas.
how and what should i do to stay save.
i dont want my emails to go to her as well as some other information.
i am using windows live mail 2011,
all i do on this notebook is check email and bank and credit card starements. some ebay too.
not worried about my sister in law doing anything with the notebook. we want to use skype and majic jack.
i mostly dont want emails going to their because of my pay and stuff.
thanks to all in advance.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Vista or Windows 7? What is the complete model number.

It should have a Recovery partition on the hard drive you can access from the Start menu or by using a Fn key (usually F11 or Ctrl+F11) during boot. The users guide will tell you how.

Use it to restore the computer to it's factory new condition and send that.

The first time it's booted up they can go though all the setup and registration stuff.

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
windows 7 and the model number is k501

i think i will try your idea tonight. i want to start it back up for her. it is ok if it is registered to me i just would like to get allot of old stuff off of the notebook. i try and find old notebooks and repair them and give the new ones away. thanks for your help

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
From what I can find, F9 is the key to start the recovery process.

As I said, The first time it's booted up they can go though all the setup and registration stuff. Then she will be the registered owner.

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
i did this but i rebooted the notebook myself. this way i can use it until i can give it away. thanks for all the help

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You're very welcome. Glad you got this resolved to your satisfaction.

Take care.

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
update. in central america i gave to computer to my sister in law. she is very happy. now she can call us and skype us for free anytime she wants. some times this week we will have it changed from english to spanish.

just wanted to say thanks again. i understand the people help hear and they do this for free just like all the questions i ask are for someone else. nice to make others happy.

this is a great site. really enjoy it.