Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Screen display - light grey bars across screen

• Please log in to reply

BobPfe

BobPfe

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Instead of crisp white screen background, I see grey bars that go whole width of screen. eg when a document is open, on any line where there is print there is a grey bar. If there is a blue background in the middle of the screen, there will be a grey bar from side to side. Where there is a blank line the screen is lighter but certainly not white.

I have ASUS AGP V7700 display card and have HP 2159m monitor. The problem appeared quite suddenly.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Welcome to G2G!

Before doing anything else (besides making sure cables are securely fastened), swap monitors with another computer. If the problem follows your monitor, you know your monitor is bad. If the problem stays with your computer and the gray bars appear on the 2nd monitor, you then know the problem is with your computer, or its graphics solution.

BobPfe

BobPfe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks Bill. Yes I have done that. I have connected the monitor to another computer and everything seems to work OK - so I conclude my problem relates to my computer. I have also tried an alternative cable between computer and monitor and problem is still there.

What should I do next?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Well, I always want to ensure I am suppling good power so I would swap in a known good power supply.

If this problem just started you might try System Restore to take the system back a day before the problem started. Reinstalling the graphics driver may be an option too.

BobPfe

BobPfe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks again for your suggestions.

I have already reinstalled graphics drivers. Some difficulty here in identifying exactly what I should be using as card is old and prior to windows XP. One later driver I have found keeps giving me download errors so I have ignored it. The reality is that the driver I have been using for years has been working in the past and is now correctly installed.

I tried to go back to a windows restore point. Unfortunately every restore point I choose fails to restore. This seems to be another problem I need to follow up.

You suggested changing the power supply - do you mean the power supply in the computer? I am not able to do this.

Any other thoughts you have would be appreciated.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

You suggested changing the power supply - do you mean the power supply in the computer? I am not able to do this.

Yes I do mean that. Most shops can test them for a nominal fee.

The next step would be to try another graphics card.