Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Preparing to replace power jack socket on Acer Aspire

• Please log in to reply

orangutan

orangutan

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
For several weeks now the power connection on my Acer Aspire One has not worked consistently. Usually I can get it to connect by altering the angle of the cable, but sometimes this takes some time. I am assuming this is due to a poor connection inside the laptop for the charger cable.

To minimise inconvenience if it fails completely, I want to get ready to repair it.

I am OK with dismantling the computer to get to the power jack, though I haven't done it yet with this one. I am not OK with soldering, but intending to do some practice.

I am guessing there is no way to wire up the battery direct to the cable to keep using the laptop in the event of failure (?) Perhaps there is some not-too-expensive appliance to use to do this (?)

My plan is: open up the laptop and view the component. Order new component if necessary. Reassemble computer. Buy soldering equipment and practice soldering. At convenient time, repair or replace as need be. This is assuming it has not yet failed.

Any comments on this?

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
I don't know of any way you can bypass the connector, that is not "Mickey Mouse", or temporary. Those internal connectors typically either break, or just lose tension. If broken, it will have to be replaced. Ordering the right part can be a problem, unless you can find a part number. Sadly, notebook makers have not settled on a standard. For this reason, having a shop do this is often better, simply because they have done it many times.

If the contact arms have lost tension, they can be bent back into position to make a solid contact again. However, like all spring-like devices, full tension can never be fully restored, and it will soon lose tension again. It will buy you some extra time, but the connector will eventually need to be replaced anyway.