Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can not increase sound volume

• Please log in to reply

Redwontdo

Redwontdo

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
This is not a critical problem but I've been chasing it for 2 days and it's driving me nuts now.

I have an old computer (Gateway) running windows 98 that I want to use with an old Compaq Presario FX500 monitor with JBL speakers attached to the side. The reason I kept this monitor was that I loved the sound from these speakers. Anyway it is all hooked up and I can not get the sound to go above a whisper. The volume is very low. I have moved the sliders up on all the volume inputs and it is still way too quiet. The sound card in the computer is a creative SB64D.

Originally the gateway had a set of speakers that were powered and had a subwofer etc. I have a suspicion that this sound card requires that instead of the passive speakers on the monitor? Is there any kind of little amp that could be added to the mix to power these speakers?

Appreciate any input. Thanks...

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Have you tried going into the advanced audio properties (control panel->multimedia) or to the settings in the creative labs config program (if you have one) & selecting the speaker type? ie change it from the default desktop speakers to one that matches your speakers more closely

Supergeek.dcse

Supergeek.dcse

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
get a small 5 watt amp from maplins they are cheep or go back to your old speakers prob sound better any way

Redwontdo

Redwontdo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Have you tried going into the advanced audio properties (control panel->multimedia) or to the settings in the creative labs config program (if you have one) & selecting the speaker type? ie change it from the default desktop speakers to one that matches your speakers more closely

View Post

Yes I have, should have said that too. I have it set up for the mounted on monitor speakers.

Redwontdo

Redwontdo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

get a small 5 watt amp from maplins they are cheep or go back to your old speakers prob sound better any way

View Post

Old speakers are on new computer. :tazz:

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
do these jbl speakers have a power input plug?
I ran across this recently with someone else doing a similar thing to you. the speakers should have a 12 volt power jack, which you will need to power the built in amp.
if this is correct, take a trip to radio shack. pick up a 12v supply, which will come with a bare connector to load the correct size plug on. take the speaker with the power jack with you, so you can make sure you pick up the correct size plug.

this should cost around $20 or less.

Redwontdo

Redwontdo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I explained badly. The JBL speakers are attached on either side of the monitor (part of the monitor). There is no place for a power input plug at all. I presume they get their power from the monitor? Then on the back of the monitor is where you plug in from the sound card. I am just wondering if maybe the compaq sound cards have some kind of power or boost that this sound card does not have.
I like the little amp idea, but would have no clue where to put the amp so that it would affect these speakers.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
ok, so theres no power jack on the jbl's themselves. you plug the signal lead for the speakers into the monitor. is there a separate lead for the speakers between the monitor and PC, or just the video signal cable?

do the jbl speakers have a model # on them? I would like to look them up if possible, so I can help figure out the best solution for you.

Redwontdo

Redwontdo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

ok, so theres no power jack on the jbl's themselves.  you plug the signal lead for the speakers into the monitor.  is there a separate lead for the speakers between the monitor and PC, or just the video signal cable?

do the jbl speakers have a model # on them?  I would like to look them up if possible, so I can help figure out the best solution for you.

View Post

These speakers seem to be built as part of the monitor, there is no place where it looks like they could be removed. There are two mini plugs on the back of the monitor itself. One is for the audio from the sound card and one is for the microphone. In case it was just the cable I did try another one.

I have chased a couple of leads that made me think there was a driver out there for these speakers but did not have any luck. There is a number on the side of one of the speakers but it does not say it is a model #: 736BA36PF766

This looks like a reasonable possiblity, have you ever used one of these or do you know if they work?

link

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
I guess the audio signal was being sent up the VGA cable to the monitor. another little compaq proprietary thing...

that number you posted from the speakers appears to be a serial #, since I could not find anything using it searching on compaq, JBL, google, etc.

I must say, Im impressed by that little device you found. I think Im gonna buy one just to see what it can do.

ok, I looked that thing up, found a technical data sheet. amplifier output will depend on the speakers (what ohm rating they are), but will be between .2-.5 watt. this doesnt sound like much, but in actuality is probably enough to do the job fine. you wont be cranking the speakers with that little amp, but you should get a reasonable volume.

are you using any other USB devices on this PC? I ask since you may need to change the usb audio driver (I saw mention on the data sheet, and a different vendor showed that little amp with a driver CD). also audio running through older USB 1.1 can burn up the bandwidth pretty quick. something to consider if you have any USB drives, etc. connected.

Advertisements

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
Ive got to add something else before you go buy anything- are you sure your plugged into the correct jack on the sound card? if the jacks are color coded, the speaker out should be green. if not, soundblaster usually puts a little arrow pointing away from the jack, or out. perhaps with a number 1 by it (some old cards have 2 outs).
another way to make sure, as well as test the audio card itself, is with headphones plugged directly in to the speaker out jack on the soundcard. you should be able to get a pretty strong volume in the headphones. if not, I suspect the sound settings, and then the card itself.

let me know what you find with that.

Redwontdo

Redwontdo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

another way to make sure, as well as test the audio card itself, is with headphones plugged directly in to the speaker out jack on the soundcard.  you should be able to get a pretty strong volume in the headphones.  if not, I suspect the sound settings, and then the card itself.

let me know what you find with that.

View Post

Ok, I had to borrow some headphones first. When I plug the headphones into that jack I get much more volume, it is loud. So I am using the right jack and the sound coming from the card seems to be ok. It has to be something proprietary to do with that compaq monitor/speakers?

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
glad to hear the headphone test worked. as you heard, the soundcard can drive the headphones pretty loud. this works with standard passive computer speakers as well.

so yes, it must be a proprietary thing with the compaq monitor. that usb device you found should do the trick, or a small home stereo amp type thing would work as well, giving you the option of much louder volume.

in my opinion, the usb thing is worth a try. it should do the job, and if it doesnt, your only out $20. and it would still work great for someone who has a laptop- connect their headphones to the usb audio plug, they will get the same kind of volume you heard plugged directly into your sound card.
I found a version of that device thats available in local stores, so Im gonna pick one up soon. if you want to wait, I can let you know how it does. it may take me until next week.

Redwontdo

Redwontdo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Thanks! But I already ordered that little toy last night. I hate to wait. :tazz:

If I can figure out how /where to use a small amp then I may use the toy on my laptop. Either way it seems like a good thing to have.

This is a great place, thanks again.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
cool. post back with how it works. if you decide to go the amp route, I can help you out with specifics on that too.

I agree, the toy looks like a good thing to have.