Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"New" Wireless router/ ADSL modem

• Please log in to reply

hughofbardfield

hughofbardfield

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have an ADSL internet connection via a Sagem F@ST 800 modem supplied by my ISP connected to my desktop PC running XP. This works satisfactorily as I don't need an ultra high speed connection and cable is not available where I live.

I would like to operate a netbook and/or laptop elsewhere in the house and have been given a Netgear DGN2000 wireless router and modem. I have tried to install this in place of the Sagem and had endless problems getting it to work. I think the PC is still trying to connect to the Sagem and when I eventually got the Netgear to connect to the internet, the connection was slower than the Sagem.

I am now trying to use the Netgear simply as a networking tool, so I can connect to the internet wirelessly, using the Sagem as the modem. Will this work? How do I set about it?

Help or pointers to instructions much appreciated. I have tried searching this site, but not found anything that seems relevant.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
The router should be connected to the modem and everything should work without any setup other than the setup you do when you install the router software on your computer. You may need to turn on the wireless in the router program but i just a click in the wireless connections radio box(usually), and that is all you will need to do. Of course i usually make sure all ports are closed except the ones i need to get on the internet. The only time i had any problems connecting up a router is when the customer decided it had to be complicated so he made it so by changing everything he knew nothing about.

This explains ports.
http://www.bleepingc...tutorial38.html

SRX660