Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD On Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

• Please log in to reply

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Recently just bought a new computer (HP model p6823wb). Since then, I've gotten the BSOD about 3 times now. It doesn't happen a real lot, seems to be pretty random. One time I wasn't doing anything on the computer, just had firefox minimized and it shut down from the BSOD.

Same as just before; I wasn't doing anything but running Firefox, looking at pictures, and I get the BSOD. I don't think it could be a hardware issue. Possibly a driver issue. But not really sure.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Files that help describe the problem
080811-27627-01.dmp
sysdata.xml
WERInternalMetadata.xml

View a temporary copy of these files
Warning: If a virus or other security threat caused the problem, opening a copy of the files could harm your computer.

Extra information about the problem
BCCode: d1
BCP1: FFFFF8A002E59198
BCP2: 0000000000000002
BCP3: 0000000000000000
BCP4: FFFFF88001127039
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 768_1

Computer Specs:
Operating System
MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1

CPU
AMD Phenom II X2 521 27 °C
Callisto 45nm Technology

RAM
4.00 GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)

Motherboard
FOXCONN 2AB1 (CPU 1) 28 °C

Graphics
HP 2011 (1600x900@60Hz)
ATI Radeon HD 4200

Hard Drives
977GB Hitachi Hitachi HDS721010CLA332 SATA Disk Device (SATA) 33 °C

I also downloaded WhoCrashed and this is what it said about the crash:

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Mon 8/8/2011 5:59:51 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\080811-27627-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x7FD00)
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0xFFFFF8A002E59198, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF88001127039)
Error: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL that was too high.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

Any help on how to pinpoint what the problem is, will be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

0x000000D1: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
(Click to consult the online Win XP Resource Kit article.)
The system attempted to access pageable memory using a kernel process IRQL that was too high. The most typical cause is a bad device driver (one that uses improper addresses). It can also be caused by caused by faulty or mismatched RAM, or a damaged pagefile.

If it indeed is a D1 bug check then we need to look at the most obvious which is memory right now.

If you have more than one RAM module installed, try starting computer with one RAM stick at a time.

NOTE Keep in mind, the manual check listed above is always superior to the software check, listed below. DO NOT proceed with memtest, if you can go with option A

B. If you have only one RAM stick installed...
...run memtest...

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)
2. Unzip downloaded memtest86+-2.11.iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find memtest86+-2.11.iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

Posted Image

8. Locate memtest86+-2.11.iso file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

Posted Image

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run. You may have to change the boot sequence in your BIOS to make it work right.

To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS

Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

Posted Image

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

Posted Image

The following image is the test results area:

Posted Image

The most important item here is the “errors” line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

Recently just bought a new computer

BSODs typically indicate hardware issues - issues that should be handled under warranty. I think you should get on record with HP.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I agree but running Memtest86 may be a good step regardless since we are not opening the system and running diagnostics cannot void a warranty at least as far as I believe.
I would still get HP involved since it is under warranty.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
100% agree! Sorry, I should have said, in addition to rshaffer's suggestion, contact HP. The MemTest results (good or bad) is information you can provide to HP.

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Thank you rshaffer61 for that in depth reply. I can run the test sometime later and post the results. Maybe I will let it go over night if you say it will take awhile. How long can it take? And I have to run the test 5-6 times??

Also if it is faulty RAM, how come I'm not getting the BSOD error as more often? I've had the computer three weeks now, and in the three weeks only had it crash 3 times from it. I think it would occur at least daily or more often. Maybe not. Just throwing that out there..

Anyway thank you all for the reply, much appreciated. I will run this test sometime later in the day and see what comes up.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Memory errors are random and depends on what you are doing. What may happen on one program this time may work fine. It just depends on the stress being put on the memory along with what is being run.
The test if done right will take a few hours. I would suggest running it over night if you don't use the system.

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Yeah, I'll let it run over night. How do I set it up so it runs 5-6 passes ? Just want to be sure I get this right.

Also, I wasn't really doing much when I got the BSOD. One time, I was away from the computer, with just Firefox running. Then last night when it happened again, same thing, just Firefox running and viewing pictures.

Oh well. I'll let you know how the test goes. I'll be posting results here tomorrow.
Thank you.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Just start it and it will continue to run till you stop it in the morning.
Once the memtest results are posted then we can offer another check from there but lets finish with this first. Also please contact HP if for nothing else to get it on record just in case it has to be worked on under warranty.

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
I decided to let the test run now. I have some things to do, so it can run while I am out. I'm on a different computer for now.

Letting it run for four hours and a half, will that be enough to find out if there is a problem?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
As long as it can run at least 3 full passes you should be ok.
If there are errors you will see Red print on the window at the bottom.

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Ok well I let it run for about 4 hours and 30 mins. It did 7 passes. It was in the middle of the 8th pass when I stopped it.

It found no errors. So I guess the BSOD wasn't caused by my ram.

Now what??

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Next is checking for a driver issue. For this step I need you to do the following.

Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop.com
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Best Regards

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Ok I can't get the Pitstop utility to load. I am using IE. I have IE set to accept ActiveX controls. I have cleared cookies and such in IE (CCleaner), I disabled my firewall, and it won't work. Any ideas? I'm gonna try a restart and see if that solves it.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK lets go at it a different way then.
Download Autoruns from the link in my signature below:

1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Remove any entries that mention "File Not Found" by right-clicking the entry and select Delete.
5: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
6: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop.
7: Attach to your next reply.