Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD On Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

• Please log in to reply

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
This has to be a conspiracy... lol. I cannot attach the file. It keeps giving me this error: "Error No File was selected for upload" even though I browse and do select the file.

Is there another way to get the file to you? By email maybe?

EDIT: I see why it won't attach. The max is 1MB. The file itself is 2.83MB...

Edited by Xanster82, 08 August 2011 - 07:12 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did you save the file as a txt file and not the default arn file type?

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Oops. I saved it as an Arnfile. I saved it now as a text file.

I have now successfully attached the file.

There you go.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Wow your Autoruns are surprisingly nice and thin.

Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

Background info courtesy of DonnaB Thank you

As for TFC, this is a tidbit of an article I found a while back by a MicroSoft MVP.

TFC (Temp File Cleaner) will clear out all temp folders for all user accounts (temp, IE temp, java, FF, Opera, Chrome, Safari), including Administrator, All Users, LocalService, NetworkService, and any other accounts in the user folder. It also cleans out the %systemroot%\temp folder and checks for .tmp files in the %systemdrive% root folder, %systemroot%, and the system32 folder (both 32bit and 64bit on 64bit OSs). It shows the amount removed for each location found (in bytes) and the total removed (in MB).

Before running, it will stop Explorer and all other running applications. When finished, if a reboot is required the user must reboot to finish clearing any in-use temp files.
-- TFC only cleans temp folders.
-- TFC will not clean URL history, prefetch, or cookies. Depending on how often someone cleans their temp folders, their system hardware, and how many accounts are present, it can take anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or more. TFC will completely clear all temp files where other temp file cleaners may fail.

Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:

It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged
Please do not run any other Auslogics programs other then this one as they may cause unwanted results.
http://auslogics.com...defrag/download

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
So what do you mean by when you say my Autoruns are nice and thin?

Also, I have ran TFC on my computer. It removed the temp files. I restarted. And also I will run the defrag over night.

Is that all then? Will the BSOD be gone? Have you come to a final conclusion on what could be causing it?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

So what do you mean by when you say my Autoruns are nice and thin?

In other words you don't have many programs running in the background and nothing that doesn't need to be running.

It still appears to be a driver issue and I am still working on identifying it.
Go HERE and read the tutorial that shows how to do SFC or System File Checker and running in a Elevated Command Prompt in Vista and Win7.

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
I just ran the SFC and it found corrupted files and repaired them successfully. I looked at the log for a moment, I really wasn't sure what all of it meant.

I understand it'll take some time to figure out what is causing the blue screen. I thank you for all of your help thus far. Much appreciated!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Can you attach the log please and I can take a look at it.

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
I tried before but it was too big. 1.83 MB. So I uploaded the file to MediaFire, I hope that is ok.

Link to download CBS Log:

http://www.mediafire...8usposuvwaf66tv

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
DVD Maker is a program I see that seems to be causing a lot of issues.
Is this something you installed?

Advertisements

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
No. It came already installed on the computer I suppose. I was going to remove it, but decided against it. It doesn't show up in the Remove Programs list, nor is there a way to uninstall it with an uninstaller file. It's just a file in my Programs File. So how do I remove it completely and make sure all traces of it is removed?

Also if I may ask, what kind of problems is it causing?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It is one of the programs i see mentioned a lot that needed repaired during the SFC. You can't actually uninstall it I just found out but you can disable it. Go HERE to the SevenForums and you can see how to disable it.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
I note in your Autoruns log, it shows you have at least Spyware Terminator, SAS, Ad-Aware, Spybot, NIS, and MBAM installed on your system, and apparently much of them running services at the same time. That's just way overkill, especially with the later versions of Windows.

I might suggest you uninstall all of them! Then reboot and download a good all purpose solution like Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) with Windows Firewall as your only software based FW. Then download and install MBAM again and use that as your "on-demand", supplemental scanner.

Roxio too has been problematic. Just having more than one player can cause problems with associations.

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

It is one of the programs i see mentioned a lot that needed repaired during the SFC. You can't actually uninstall it I just found out but you can disable it. Go HERE to the SevenForums and you can see how to disable it.

I will disable it. Can I delete the file from the Program Files? Will it cause problems if I remove it? Or just leave it go?

I note in your Autoruns log, it shows you have at least Spyware Terminator, SAS, Ad-Aware, Spybot, NIS, and MBAM installed on your system, and apparently much of them running services at the same time. That's just way overkill, especially with the later versions of Windows.

I might suggest you uninstall all of them! Then reboot and download a good all purpose solution like Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) with Windows Firewall as your only software based FW. Then download and install MBAM again and use that as your "on-demand", supplemental scanner.

Roxio too has been problematic. Just having more than one player can cause problems with associations.

Yes I have those programs installed, but not running any of their services except Spyware Terminator and SuperAntiSpyware. I use other programs to scan once in awhile, cause some other programs will find something the other won't. Also I'm using Norton for my antivirus at the moment. Thank you for the suggestion though.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I will disable it. Can I delete the file from the Program Files? Will it cause problems if I remove it? Or just leave it go?

Just disable it. That will keep it from running in the background which is what we want.
To further explain what Digerati is saying as long as all these programs are not running in real time there should be no problem but he is right I think there are way to many.
I use
Avast as my AV
SuperanitSpyware
Malwarebytes
Windows Firewall and I have no problem.

My wife has all the same except she uses MSE and has no problems.
Is Norton the free version or a paid version?
Are you running just the AV or the complete internet suite?