Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Malware removal results

• Please log in to reply

hlgreens

hlgreens

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi

First I want to thank you for your reply. Unfortunately I Lacked patience and some of the notes on the forum suggested complex solutions soI took my machine to an IT to have the virus boot.tidserv removed. The results are as follows.

1st: The malware "boot.tidserv" was removed.
2st: I only lost some visible files - mostly e-mails - when I tried to eliminate the malware on my own by reinstalling a previous backup. Machine is mostly working as previous.
3nd: My machine was set up in such a way that I had one monitor attached to a video card - working - and a 2nd monitor attached to the video chip on my ASUS motherboard (working). This 2nd video is no longer being seen on my XP machine . I assume that I have lost the driver or some connection to the chip. At the time I picked up my PC, I invested in Windows 7 and have installed this on a empty formatted hard drive (having disconnected and pulled out my original C: drive with XP) With this new installation I'm still unable to see the video chip on my motherboard. ( I don't have a RAID disk, but I do have a 2nd hard drive inserted in the machine and have several other external disks attached through USB .
4rd: I have also lost a couple of other drivers since the malware was "removed" - inconsequential but the items are used occasionally. I may have had to reinstall the driver for my printer.

My motherboard is an ASUS M3N78-VM Would I need to do a BIOS update?

Sorry for my lack of patience

herb greenslade

Advertisements