Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Outlook now has McAfee anti-spam folder

• Please log in to reply

LindaP

LindaP

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I have never used McAfee on my Dell Inspiron laptop. About a week ago, I noticed I now have a McAfee Anti-Spam folder in Outlook. A lot of emails that are not spam are being sent to that folder. How did it get on my computer? How do I get rid of it? How do I get the emails that are marked spam back in my inbox?

Thanks for any help,
Linda

Advertisements

LindaP

LindaP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I deleted the folder and see what happens from there. No clue how it got there.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi LindaP,

I am sorry that you had to wait 5 days for an answer to your questions in your 1st post. I do not use Outlook but I did a little research to see what I could find.

From my understanding McAfee has been the Security program of choice by Microsoft that scans your POP3 traffic before it arrives to Outlook. If it wasn't there before it could be due to an update or added security feature to the McAfee program used by Microsoft. Since I don't use Outlook I can't verify this for you. There is no harm having it there though. It is just an extra precautionary measure that for some could be construed as a hindrance.

The folder may reappear again. If it does, just go to the McAfee Anti-Spam folder, open it and Right click on the e-mails you know are legitimate and you should be presented with an option to Add Friend and it should from then on place those e-mails into your InBox. If they end up in the Outlook Junk E-Mail folder you may have to do the same till they end up in your InBox in Outlook.

As I stated above McAfee is a chosen program by Microsoft to scan incoming Outlook mail just as Norton is the chosen program for my Yahoo incoming mail though I do not have Norton installed on my computer as you do not have McAfee installed on your computer.

If you have anymore concerns or questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Donna :)

LindaP

LindaP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Donna:

Thanks for the thorough explanation. I suppose it could have been an update by Microsoft. I did turn off auto update because it caused some major slow down in a recent update. I will be checking what is updated before I download in the future.

I appreciate the response.

Linda

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
You're welcome. :)

jroland925

jroland925

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I have the same issue.  I don't have McAfee on my desktop, but there is a McAfee Anti-Spam in my Outlook 2010.  I just noticed it today, and it has a bunch of legitimate emails captured as SPAM.  When I right click on the email, I do NOT get to option to UNSPAM it.  

When I go to Options and look at Add-Ins, I also can't find McAfee.  

Any ideas how to disable McAfee?