Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Require Laptop Help

• Please log in to reply

John Bull

John Bull

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
I did not see a spot for this question, so tried this one. If wrongly placed, perhaps the Mods will move it.
I have tried to get this advice on another Forum, but no replies. Here goes for Geeks.

I am thinking of getting a Laptop PC.
My current PC is a desktop consul and served by Virgin Media Broadband Cable. My contract is yearly, paid monthly .

I have checked the web to find out how a mobile Laptop works, but have not got much satisfaction. I am not some ignoramus, simply that the web does not deal with elementary "How it works" procedures in elementary terms and I had no joy.

Will the Laptop work in my home using my existing Virgin/Cable contract ? How can it, when the Cable connection is to my desktop computer and nothing to my Laptop ? My desktop computer is in my lounge, how can the Laptop work in my bedroom with no Broadband connection ?

How can this Laptop work outside the home ? Perhaps long distances away where Cable does not have a strong signal, but SKY satellite does ? If some SKY adapter is available, then how does my Laptop re-adjust to my paid up Cable signal when I return home ?

Can somebody please describe in precise detail how on Earth a Laptop works in the home under normal Cable contract and then away from home on some other arrangement using a different server ?

John

Edited by John Bull, 09 August 2011 - 10:32 AM.

Advertisements

John Bull

John Bull

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
I would like to thank everybody for their overwhelming response and help on this simple question - a big fat zero is what I get.

Ah well, I will have to seek advice elsewhere or hack it out on my own, but I did think that Forum`s were here to help users, even on elementary questions like this - obviously I am wrong.

My eternal gratitude to all those who have shown such enthusiasm not to help a poor foot-slogger like me on something I do not understand, not because of lack of intelligence, but due to not being familiar with the equipment involved.

John

Edited by John Bull, 11 August 2011 - 05:11 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Will the Laptop work in my home using my existing Virgin/Cable contract ?

As long as your laptop has wifi capabilities you can connect to a Virgin wifi router; http://help.virginme...TICLE_ID=247125

then how does my Laptop re-adjust to my paid up Cable signal when I return home ?

For Virgin mobile broadband http://www.virginmob...ileBroadband.do when you are home remove the dongle and then connect the laptop to the router again, contact customer services to see what sort of package they can offer you, what is the make and model of the laptop?
FWIW you may have had a response sooner had your OP been @ http://www.geekstogo.../11-networking/