Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows update

• Please log in to reply

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I have a seemingly-random-but-actually-very-related question... do you really need to manually adjust the registry so you can parse fragmented TLS/SSL handshake messages?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I doubt it Troy. Very few times I have ever had to go into the register for anything.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Yeah exactly. I was just reading the description for that update, it doesn't appear to be labelled as a critical security update. So it might not be worth pursuing for the OP. But of course it would be best if we can work out why and solve it, I would hate for there to be a deeper issue that stops other updates down the track.

This is by far the best advice for Windows Updates not installing, I have contacted Microsoft direct a few times myself:

You can call Microsoft for issues with getting Windows Updates to work.
This is a free service and toll-free call.

1-866-PCSAFETY
or
1-866-727-2338
It is available 24 hours a day for the U.S. and Canada.

For support outside the United States and Canada, please contact your Microsoft Help and Support worldwide.
Go to this page and choose your region from the box in the upper right corner: Click Here

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep after reading what the update really is I don't see it as being anything that is needed for the system. I would say to call Microsoft also just to let them know and maybe they can find out what error is causing it since it definitely seems to be a OS issue. Maybe since it is not needed for this particular system it won't install?

panthertooth

panthertooth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
I am a little hesitant on doing a system restore as i just installed a new mobo/cpu/ram on Monday and I will have to install all my mobo drivers again and not really wanting to go through all that again

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I would then suggest you contact Microsoft and see if they can offer a solution. They may say the update is not needed for your system and instruct you on how to stop it from showing up.

panthertooth

panthertooth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
If i read correctly don't it have to do with IE 8 if so i don't use IE anyway so wont really worry about it

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Correct, that is why I believe it is not needed for your system.
There is a way to stop that particular update from showing up.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Yeah you can choose to hide them. But just be warned as I mentioned before, I would hate for there to be a deeper issue that causes further problems down the track. Just be careful to keep an eye on this and let us know in the future. :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep it needs to be a two step process.
Contact Microsoft and verify if the update is needed for your system.
Hide the update if the above comes back you don't need it.

Advertisements

skifxr

skifxr

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Check the version of schannel.dll in (normally) C:\Windows\system32. It should be 5.1.2600.6108.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 32 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.

panthertooth

panthertooth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
Since my re-install i have not been having this issue as of yet.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That is great to hear and Congratulations. :unsure: for a successful resolution for your issue.

I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed us to assist you with your issue and for your patience.
Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :yes:
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible

teresaleckenby

teresaleckenby

• Pip
  • 1 posts
if you go to this site it can help with all of those systems and here are a few other awsum help sites
for windows and more
http://www.theelderg...m/index_xp.html

extra places:
Driver Downloads site:
http://www.atwdrivers.com/

processes for viruses
http://www.answersth...es/tasklist.htm

if windows update wont work just put this in your run box and press
enter the try windows update again

%SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32\REGSVR32.EXE %SYSTEMROOT%
\SYSTEM32\WUAUENG.DLL
hope this helps