Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

problem downloading skype 5.5 on asus windows7

• Please log in to reply

oloy

oloy

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Application Name: Skype.exe
Application Version: 5.5.0.113
Application Timestamp: 4e32992c
Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.17514
Fault Module Timestamp: 4ce7b96e
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 000533a8
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.11
Locale ID: 3079
Additional Information 1: e8ad
Additional Information 2: e8adce1c2b9e7be834b4063ac3c53863
Additional Information 3: e8ad
Additional Information 4: e8adce1c2b9e7be834b4063ac3c53863

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
That sounds more like you cannot run Skype after you installed it rather than not being able to download it.

If so, one possibility for a fix here: Skype crashes on Startup

What error message do you receive? Have you been looking for error messages in Windows Event Viewer.

Another very "popular" reason for Skype crash is that some temporary files still reside in the Skype User folder. You can do this:

Make sure that Skype is actually not running on your PC (Quit or kill using Task Manager).
Go to Windows Start and in the Search/Run box type %appdata%\skype and press Enter. Go trough the whole Skype User folder (including subfolders) and delete any files starting with “temp-“ or ending with “-journal” or with extension .lock. In same cases it may also be necessary to delete the shared.xml file, which you will find in the root of the Skype folder.

oloy

oloy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
First thanks for your response.
You are right Skype is downloaded in notebook but it crashes when it is clicked with the message
SKYPE HAS STOPPED WORKING
I went to %appdata....and deleted all what you have suggested in file and subfile but this did not help still same failure is there.
Problem details between others: Fault module Name ntdll.dll Fault module Version 6.1.7601.17514 Fault module Timestamp 4ce7b96e...........OS Version 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.11...additional informations e8ad ... etc...
When I click CHECK ONLINE FOR A SOLUTION AND CLOSE PROGRAM it does something and then it closes.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Try posting in one of the Skype forums: Support Network Beta - Social Support for Skype users, see if anyone there can help.

Also found this: On Windows 7 64bit laptop Skype crashes after I opened it.

Ok i think i have the solution!!Go to the folder with name "appdata" which is on the "user" folder to your hard drive!!When you open this folder then open a folder with name "roaming"!!Now delete 2 folders with name "skype" and "skypepm"!!Re-install skype!!I think this is gonna help you so give a try!! :)

and this:

For me it was a combination of two things
deleting shared.xml file in %AppData%\Skype AND unticking compatability mode worked for me.

oloy

oloy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Dear Ztruker, I did what you suggested by deleting the 2 files mentioned and I tried tostart skype but did not succeeded.
Then I remembered that I had a cruzer USB stick that contained the skype program. I used it with the Asus computer and tried to start the skype... then the program complained about COMPATIBILITY and started remedying and checking the problem and came with suggestion WidwsXPpack2. Then I saved and here we are with suddenly Skype opening !
Your influence and advices motivated me enormously and your support was the main reasons for solving my problem...Again thanks a Lot...

oloy

oloy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Dear Ztruker, I did what you suggested by deleting the 2 files mentioned and I tried tostart skype but did not succeeded.
Then I remembered that I had a cruzer USB stick that contained the skype program. I used it with the Asus computer and tried to start the skype... then the program complained about COMPATIBILITY and started remedying and checking the problem and came with suggestion WidwsXPpack2. Then I saved and here we are with suddenly Skype opening !
Your influence and advices motivated me enormously and your support was the main reasons for solving my problem...Again thanks a Lot...