Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Defective uninstall facility

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I haven't given up but it may take some time to find the correct driver.

Advertisements

jjfw42

jjfw42

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Thank you very much indeed.

Is there anything I could do to help track them down? If you told me exactly what was needed I might be able to locate them.

Or should I just keep checking this thread to see if you've been successful?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK I'm not sure if this will work but try HERE.
Third driver down is the Sound driver. Let me know if it worked.

jjfw42

jjfw42

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
It most certainly did!

The sound card is now working well, the external soundblaster connect that I installed is now stable (at least while I was pottering around with the sound software this afternoon). All of the programmes I need for the music editing appear to be fully functional. This is all very good news indeed......but, during installation of the sound card drivers I was prompted to install drivers for a joy-stick, which I was unable to do. The prompt asked me to insert the windows 98 disc, but the drivers wouldn't install.

So....in the device manager now, there are two yellow question marks next to 'joy-stick', and 'PCI Communication Device'.

I don't know how significant this is. I don't know what a PCI communication device is, and with regard the joy-stick, I don't envisage playing games on this machine, and if I did surely I could use a joy-stick that came with drivers.

What do you think? Should I still be concerned by these entries in the device manager?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK the PCI communication device would be the modem. You should be able to get that driver on the same site I sent you to for the audio driver.
It is the second to the last driver in the list.
The other I will have to look for still.

jjfw42

jjfw42

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Is this the right entry in the list?

Attached Thumbnails

• Toshiba modem driver.jpg

jjfw42

jjfw42

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
I downloaded the driver that I arrowed in my previous post. Interestingly IE9 reported it as unsafe (a red shield with a white 'x' on a banner across the bottom of the screen), but Norton and Malwarebytes scans reported it to be safe.

Should I assume it's safe?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep that is the right one and yes it should be safe since it is the original driver for that system with Win98 :)

jjfw42

jjfw42

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Yet more success!

I installed the modem drivers, and had another go at the joystick device - but this time through device manager. It located drivers from the win98 disc this time round, and installed them.

There is now just a yellow question mark next to 'other devices' in the device manager list.

I'm struggling to think what that might be. Any ideas?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Uninstall it and reboot. See if it gives you any indication of what the device is when it looks for a driver to install.

Advertisements

jjfw42

jjfw42

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
It wouldn't let me uninstall it. It's actually listed under Network adaptors, please see the attached screen shot.

Attached Thumbnails

• Image1.jpg

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Actually it's not under Network really. It looks to be it's own entry and if you collapse Network it should still be seen.
Does this system have a network card in it?

jjfw42

jjfw42

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
I'm sorry, I don't know. How would I find out?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Look where you plug your phone line in on the system. Is there another connection just like it but larger in size?

jjfw42

jjfw42

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
No, there's just a small flap with a telephone receiver inscribed on it, which hinges out to about thirty degrees from the case to reveal the connection. Certainly nothing similar but larger.