Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USBs dying/BSOD

• Please log in to reply

Dioo

Dioo

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hey guys, ive posted on 3 other forums and know one can figure this out!

Im gonna keep it short for u. Whenever i play games, or my graphics card does something intensive, my USB ports suddently just stop. Keyboard, mouse, external, modem. All of em just stop working forcing me into a hard reboot.

Ive had this problem for about a month. Ive changed the PSU to a more powerful one, bought a new Graphics Card and still the problem persists.

Its either USB dropout or BSOD with the same error. 0x00007F.

Intel® Desktop Board DP55WB
Intel Core i5 750
2x2GB Ram 1333mhz
PNY GeForce GTX 560Ti
2x1 TB internal HD

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Dioo
Firstly, I am sorry you have waited longer than you should for a reply.
Due to the vast number of posts on GeekstoGo, one does occasionally get overlooked.

Having read the previous thread you started
http://www.geekstogo...__fromsearch__1

it appears this is the same issue - more or less.
When reading the previous thread and all that was tried there and the apparently successful outcome, when the ram was changed from dual channel to single use with just two ram sticks, I was about to suggest a PSU issue, with the extra demand on the PSU from the gaming etc, HOWEVER I see that you have already covered this.

The previous mentioned thread was in 2010. As it appears this is the same computer, when did the issue raise itself again please?

Would you please run Memtest
1. http://www.memtest.o...6+-4.20.iso.zip
2. Unzip downloaded memtest86+-2.11.iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find memtest86+-2.11.iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

Posted Image

8. Locate memtest86+-2.11.iso file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

Posted Image

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run. You may have to change the boot sequence in your BIOS to make it work right.

To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS
  • Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
    This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
    Find the Advanced area and click Enter
    Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
    Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
    Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
    Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
    You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

Posted Image

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

Posted Image

The following image is the test results area:

Posted Image

The most important item here is the "errors" line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.

MEMTEST will test your ram outside of the Windows O/S
Just in case we have a ram error when windows is running - albeit the chance is only slight please also run this
http://oca.microsoft.../en/windiag.asp

Edited by Macboatmaster, 17 August 2011 - 04:25 PM.

Dioo

Dioo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hey mate, thanks for replying.

I have posted on about 7-8 different forums with the same problem, and several people have instructed me to conduct the memtest86, which i have several times, with 0 errors on both sticks of RAM. However, i cant use the first or third slot individually, otherwise the PC would beep and not boot, so from all that im thinking theres a fault in the motherboard.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I cannot really see it will make the slightest difference, but please see my post 2 again and run the Windows Memory Diagnostic

and

The previous mentioned thread was in 2010. As it appears this is the same computer, when did the issue raise itself again please?

I presume you still have the motherboard manual. However just in case you do not here it is
http://downloadmirro...e04_English.pdf

Please see page 35 onwards and put the ram in Channel A please. That is the two slots nearest to the processor coloured black and blue.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 18 August 2011 - 02:19 AM.

Dioo

Dioo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hey mate, I have ran the Windows Memory Diagnostic several times as well with no errors showing. Also, I have checked the manual several times to make sure I am doing it right, 1 more thing, i STILL cannot use Dual Channel Memory, since my last post in 2010!

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Please list all you have tried to solve the issue, other than what is in this thread or the previous.
This will save us both, time. Also please give some idea as per my previous post of when THIS problem occurred, because as I understand the situation you now have a problem with the ram in single channel configuration whereas in the previous post - that was OK and dual channel was the error.
Finally where is the ram NOW

Edited by Macboatmaster, 18 August 2011 - 03:12 AM.

Dioo

Dioo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
I have tried the following, all forms of updates, whether it be drivers for graphics cards, windows, BIOS, chipsets.

I have purchased a new(better) Graphic Card and a new PSU, ive ran several overnight memtests86, windows memory diagnostics, troubleshooted each startup driver in msnconfig, tried several BIOS options concerning RAM settings and power settings.

Also used front panels instead of back, different peripherals, unplugged some etc.

I have NOT overclocked anything in my PC, everything is set to default.

The RAM is in the first 2 slots next to one another, running in single channel.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
So to clarify the situation, all has been OKAY since the 2010 thread, with the ram moved from dual channel to single channel, until just one month or so ago.
Is the external drive powered separately or does it draw power only from the USB hub, I would try disconnecting that and then if still no success, all non-essential usb items.

If we are certain that the ram is good, which it certainly appears to be, and all ram settings in BIOS are as specified in the manual, and both sticks are identical and from the same manufacturer, then the immediate error in dual channel configuration tends to lead back to a motherboard issue, I think..

NB I am offline now until 2200hrs UK time

Edited by Macboatmaster, 18 August 2011 - 04:08 AM.

Dioo

Dioo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Yeah the situation was fine up until 1 month or so ago.

I've tried removing all unnecessary hardware used by USB, the external has its own power source.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

Yeah the situation was fine up until 1 month or so ago.

In that case, can you identify the software, drivers or hardware installed since it was OK to when it went wrong.
Is there any errors shown in event viewer.
You may use this
  • Please download the Event Viewer Tool by Vino Rosso VEW and save it to your Desktop:
  • Double-click VEW.exe
  • Under 'Select log to query', select (as appropriate):
    • Application
    • System This one in your case pls.
  • Under 'Select type to list', select (as appropriate):
    • Error SELECT ONLY THIS PLEASE ON FIRST RUN
    • Information
    • Warning
Then use the 'Date of events' or 'Number of events' as follows:

Either:
  • Click the radio button for 'Number of events'
    Type 3 in the 1 to 20 box (or any number from 1 to 20) in your case enter 15
    Then click the Run button.
    Notepad will open with the output log.
  • Click the radio button for 'Date of events'
    In the From: boxes type a date just before the last usb ports failure
    In the To: boxes type today's date
    Then click the Run button.
    Notepad will open with the output log.
Please post the Output log in your next reply

Dioo

Dioo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hey m8, sorry for the late response...was just trying to play Crysis 2, 1 min into, it BSOD/USBs died :)

Anyway, here is the attachment you asked for.

Edit: Added a more updated file, (includes today)

Attached Files

• Attached File  VEW.txt   42.1KB   193 downloads
  • Attached File  VEW2.txt   15.87KB   284 downloads

Edited by Dioo, 20 August 2011 - 02:59 AM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Although it cannot be guaranteed, it certainly appears from your Event Viewer log, that you have a memory fault.
There are any number of these entries
This may indicate that the system is low on virtual memory, or that the memory manager has encountered an internal error.

This could be the motherboard, which may explain why ram will not work in dual channel.
Despite memtest which you say reported no errors, it could still be a ram fault.

I would run memtest again and leave it running overnight. Then examine the results.

It maybe something more obscure. Is the computer power connected to a surge protector. I have known them when failing develop a transient fault.

Go Start, right click My Computer, click properties, click the advanced tab, click the settings button on the top box - Performance. Then click the advanced tab on that window. On Virtual Memory, look to check that it is approximately twice the ram you have. If not click the Change button and se if System Managed size is checked.
If not click to check it, click the Set button, then click OK and Apply and OK.

I am offline now until Friday.
Sorry you waited for the reply
Good luck with it.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 23 August 2011 - 05:33 PM.

Dioo

Dioo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hey m8, i solved the issue.

Seems as tho the first RAM slot was the problem. Any time there was a stick of RAM anyway connected to the first slot, the PC would crash during games.

So i finally took 1 stick of RAM, put it in the second slot, and ran a few games/performance test, it worked fine. So i said, where can i put the second stick of RAM, I cant use it in the third, or first slot, and if i place it int he 4th slot it will become Dual Channel, which I cannot use for some reason.

So i decided to figure out why Dual Channel would cause BSOD on startup and instability in windows. After hours of research and testing, I finally went to the BIOS and upped the voltage of the RAM from 1.5V to 1.6V. According to the manual of the motherboard, anything below 1.65V is fine.

Worked like a charm, i can finally play games, and whats even better, I can now use Dual Channel mode!.

Thanks for all the help.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

Worked like a charm, i can finally play games, and whats even better, I can now use Dual Channel mode!.

Thanks for all the help.

Excellent - you did well to find that one. I am pleased. Although the credit must lie with you.