Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

camera usb connection no longer works

• Please log in to reply

tofu5

tofu5

• PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
My computer does not recognize the connection to my Samsung camera. I get a popup that says "USB device not recognized. One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned". I downloaded a few pictures 7 days, all worked fine. Then 5 days ago I got a virus about Security Professional, that pretends to scan your computer and tell you that you have viruses when they are in fact the bug. I have SuperAntispyware Professional, AVG free, AdAware, SpywareBlaster, and SpywareGuard, none of which caught this virus. The virus was the only thing was happened differently to my computer in the past week, it pretty much locked up the computer and I finally got rid of it through SuperAntispyware. I have since scanned with all the above antispyware and they all say I am clean. I have reloaded the Samsung camera software, in case that was a problem. I have also turned off the computer and unplugged it from all power(this was recommended from a person on a Microsoft forum, many others on the forum said this helped them resolve a similar problem). What else should I do for the computer to recognize the camera usb cord?

Nancy

Advertisements

Placid Storm

Placid Storm

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
What Operating System do you have, Windows version, I see that your profile says "Vista"? Is this the system you're talking about? I need to know this so we can get you to device manager.

Edited by Placid Storm, 11 August 2011 - 02:17 PM.

Placid Storm

Placid Storm

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Open Device Manager by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking Device Manager.‌ If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Those are the instructions for Vista. Look for something that may look like the yellow question in the image below.

Posted Image

Edited by Placid Storm, 11 August 2011 - 02:39 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I suspect that you have some malware on your computer causing issues that we are not able to solve through means we can use here in the Tech Forums. I suggest you read the 'Start Here' topic found HERE. With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.

If you are still having issues after the malware expert gives you a clean bill of health, Please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).
Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

tofu5

tofu5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
" Look for something that may look like the yellow question in the image below."

did that, saw nothing yellow.

I ran OTL, and posted the report in the Malware Removal section. Lets see what they say. Thanks.

Nancy

My operating system is Vista.

Edited by tofu5, 11 August 2011 - 03:33 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Then 5 days ago I got a virus about Security Professional, that pretends to scan your computer and tell you that you have viruses when they are in fact the bug.

My wife had this last month and it's a pain to get rid of without professional help. It hides and returns later. Her camera wouldn't connect while she had it.

tofu5

tofu5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
Does her camera connect now? What steps did she take? I have not had a response from GTG Malware Removal forum yet. Please do not take this as my being impatient, I am very thankful these people are donating their time and expertise, and will wait as long as it takes.

Nancy

Edited by tofu5, 12 August 2011 - 08:32 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The malware forum is very busy so please be patient.
If you do not get a response in 3 days then feel free to follow my instructions for posting in the Waiting Room.

tofu5

tofu5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
My posting was not answered in the Malware Forum. Should I post to the waiting room? If so, how?

Nancy

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'm sorry Nancy it hasn't been answered and yes post in the Waiting Room. Make sure to give a short description and post a link to your Malware topic.

Advertisements

tofu5

tofu5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
I am in the Waiting Room but cannot figure out how to make a link to my posting in Malware.

Nancy

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Copy the link from below and paste it in your Waiting room topic.

http://www.geekstogo...18#entry2047318

tofu5

tofu5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
done, thank you.

N

tofu5

tofu5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
I am back, with the same problem, USB Device not recognized. I spent a lot of time in your Malware Forum, after many scans and log posts we found 2 trojans through Kaspersky and removed them. Then we did more scans and I was told I am germ free. Though the computer will still not recognize the camera. I reinstalled the camera cd(hope I clicked all the correct buttons). My computer has a few bugs now, that were not there before all these scans.
1- I believe it is concerning my User Control. When I try to access ATFCleaner, I am asked if I will allow it. There is also a shield on my ATF desktop icon that we have not been able to eliminate.
2-Virtual Expander fails at start-up(I get a pop-up stating this). I was given a link to re-install it but it does not seem to work.
3- I was told to uninstall Combofix but cannot find it anywhere.
4- Have to decide on which antispyware/malware to keep. I have SuperAntispyware Professionsl, AVGFree, and just added Malwarebytes. I uninstalled SpywareGuard, was suggested I get rid of AdAware and SpywareBlaster.

Should I keep this post going or start a new thread?

Nancy

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You don't use the actual combofix program to uninstall.
The malware tech would have given you the instructions to remove it by using the Run box in the Start menu.