Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD errors with no consistency

• Please log in to reply

Ordo426

Ordo426

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey I have a windows 7 PC that is only just over a year old that has been having some BSODs for the last week. The errors that it has been giving me lack any apparent consistency, and I cannot seem to find a solution from the forum or any other forums. I have tried disk check, system scan, and memory diagnostics, all of which passed except memory diagnostic did not give me any results when my computer loaded (it was Windows Memory Diagnostic). I have updated a bunch of drivers, many of which deal with programs and my graphics card, but most of the drivers are up to date. My next option is to try switching out the RAM to see if they are failing, but I was hoping someone would be able to decipher my minidump files for me as I see no consistency with them.

Edited by Ordo426, 11 August 2011 - 07:39 PM.

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Post your dumps and we'll take a look! Posted Image

Ordo426

Ordo426

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I swear they were attached. Odd, anyway here they are.

EDIT: After removing some of my RAM, I found that the bluescreens occurred way less. I can 15-45 minutes without a bluescreen now and my computer's performance has increased with less memory. So it seems likely that I am getting bluescreens for a driver problem and for bad memory. Since I have removed the bad memory I have been getting 0x00000d1 stop messages with tcip.sys and driver_irql_not_less_or_equal. I thought I would mention this so that you could give those errors some special interest if you are looking at my minidump files.

Attached Files

Edited by Ordo426, 12 August 2011 - 08:41 PM.

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
So I am seeing two causes in your dumps - as you have already pointed out.

1) Lots of faults in ntfs.sys and ntoskrnl.exe. With so many faults there and the variety of STOP errors, it does look like RAM. After removing the obviously bad stick of RAM, have you been able to run a memory test?
2) I also see 3 faults in tcpip.sys - all driver_irql_not_less_or_equal. Make sure your network drivers are up to date - your wired network card and your wireless card (if you have a wireless card).

Ordo426

Ordo426

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yeah I have checked all my drivers and they are up-to-date. With the RAM, when I did Windows Memory Diagnostic, it would bluescreen in the middle of it, probably when it reached the error. I found out that the RAM was bad after doing swaps with the memory and check if a bluescreen occurs. I just took it out and my bluescreens have not occurred for a week. Bad news is that my memory died after one year, good news is that it may be under warranty and I can upgrade to more memory.

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Well then it looks like it might have been the network driver hitting that bad RAM. Let us know if you are still having issues after replacing your RAM!