Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet connectivity problems

• Please log in to reply

Claire Marielle

Claire Marielle

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a windows 7 and I use Internet Explorer. I have full signal from my router but I cannot connect to the internet on my laptop. Two other computers (a home PC and a work laptop) have been able to connect to the internet without any problems. I tried resetting the router but that did nothing. I accessed my neighbors unprotected Wifi but the same problem occured. I clicked "diagnose connection problems" and the results say: The remote device or resource wont accept the connection. It does this whether I am on my homes Wifi or my neighbors. What should I do?

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You have either network or WPA setting that is wrong. If you open up your network and sharing settings to see what you have turned on there. I have discovery, file sharing and password protected file sharing turned on. What kind of protection is the computer using? Some Win 7 computers will not work when using AES based protection(CCMP). WPA2 uses the AES protection, while WPA uses the TKIP (Temporal Key Integrity Protocol)protection. Your laptop may not be able to use the AES(CCMP) protocal. You may need to switch to WPA protection. It could also be as simple as flipping a switch on the laptop(i doubt this for you as you can see networks).

CCMP
Counter Mode with Cipher Block Chaining Message Authentication Code Protocol or CCMP (CCM mode Protocol) is an encryption protocol designed for Wireless LAN products that implement the standards of the IEEE 802.11i amendment to the original IEEE 802.11 standard. CCMP is an enhanced data cryptographic encapsulation mechanism designed for data confidentiality and based upon the Counter Mode with CBC-MAC (CCM) of the AES standard[1]. It was created to address the vulnerabilities presented by TKIP, a protocol in WPA, and WEP, a dated, insecure protocol.

SRX660