Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"YouTube Video Download Wizard Sponsored Links" on Google

• Please log in to reply

samwiches

samwiches

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
The past couple of days I've been getting this thing at the top of my Google searches. I don't know what it is, I haven't downloaded anything called "YouTube Video Download Wizard" (if I need to download YT videos, I use FlashGot, so I have no need for a seperate program), and I can't find any traces of it via the Control Panel or Program Files

It doesn't show up for every search I do, it seems to only appear on "common" searches that aren't too obscure, and the link that it supplies always begins with "http://kourl.com"
Here is the actual link from the advert I've attached, in case anyone needs to look at it: http://kourl.com/sl/...ac=oJLG669UPlA=

I've attached a screenshot

Thanks for any help

edit:
For some reason, I didn't realise that it had intergrated itself into YouTube as well, and has an "About" button which links to here: http://www.applian.c...izard/about.php
No tips on uninstalling it though, I can't find it anywhere. Not in Control Panel, not via CCleaner, nothing

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled.png

Edited by samwiches, 12 August 2011 - 04:42 AM.

Advertisements

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi samwiches,

Do you use Firefox? If so, install the Ad Block Plus add-on from the link below. Let me know if that helps.

Adblock Plus 1.3.9

:)

samwiches

samwiches

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Hi,

Yes I do, and I also already use AdBlock Plus but it still displays. Do I need to configure AdBlock in a certain way to block these or anything?

Thanks

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
samwiches,

Try running Firefox in Safe Mode. Please don't confuse Firefox Safe Mode with Windows Safe Mode. It's not the same.

Go to Start > All Programs > Mozilla Firefox > select Firefox Safe Mode from the list. This will disable all you Add-ons, Plugins, etc. Let me know if you still get that Advert while searching on Google.

Do you get the Advert when using IE?

EDIT: I have discussed this issue with one of our malware experts who pointed out that Foistware may have been installed alongside a codec or something of that nature without your knowing. Look in your Add/Remove (in XP) or Programs and Features (in Win7 or Vista) to see if something has been installed that you do not recognize as being installed by you. You should be able to target it by the date of install as for when this started to occur. Also look in Firefox Add-ons and Plugins to verify that nothing has been installed there either. I did come across some information where this could be associated with the YouTube VDW plugin. Can't verify for sure though.

Let us know.

:)

Edited by DonnaB, 14 August 2011 - 09:29 AM.

samwiches

samwiches

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
I ran Firefox in Safemode and the adverts are no longer showing. I checked my Add-ons menu and it was installed into there. Don't know when/how it got installed but I've removed it now and the adverts are no longer showing

Thanks for all your help

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Wonderful! Great to hear you got that sorted.

Here's a good definition of what Foistware is:

Foistware

Happy surfing and stay safe! :unsure:

My compliments to Essexboy for his help and professional guidance. :)

Edited by DonnaB, 14 August 2011 - 12:43 PM.