Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Getting the GTX 570

• Please log in to reply

xGhandi

xGhandi

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello all! (first post, yay ^^)

My GTX220 has been around for little less than 2 years now. It really needs to be upgraded. So I decided to go for the GTX 570.
Now my question is: Can I use the 570 without upgrading other parts of my pc?
I was also thinking of getting 2 more gigs of RAM. If I do this, will my pc be faster?

Specs `n stuff:
Intel Core 2 Quad-Core Q8300 (2.50GHz, 1333MHz, 4MB)
6 Gigs Ram
1024 MB nVidia GeForce GT220

I don't know what power supply I have, but the sticker on the side said this:
Input:
100-127V ~ /9A
200-240V ~ /4.5A
50-60 Hz

Output:
+5V /18A MAX
+5Vsb /22A MAX
+12V /2A MAX

Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Check that 12V value again. 12V @ 2A is only 24 watts and that's nothing. I suspect that 12V spec is for MIN, not MAX.

According to NVIDIA the recommended "minimum" PSU is 550 watts. That means your +12 rail should be rated at 40A or higher.

It is not likely you will see any improvement increasing your RAM. 6Gb is already a lot. Check Task Manager. It will tell you if you have come close to using up all you currently have.

todo

todo

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
+12V /2A MAX ??????? Very weird :) i thought the Lowest is 12 Amps

anyway i think you should get a better power supply
the power supply power depend on what other component in your computer

BTW i want to warn you about something called Bottleneck it's when you use a new or Fast component with a Slower one
the computer will work with speed that will be compatible with the slowest part

the meaning if you get a Good GPU with a slow CPU Both will work at slow speed and you want enjoy the Full power of you computer

for the GTX570 as i said i think the power consumption will be 570 Wat minimum so the power supply will basicly depend on you computer specs
you can use an power supply calculator Like this one form Thermaltake Power Supply Calculator

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

+12V /2A MAX ??????? Very weird i thought the Lowest is 12 Amps

That's why I am pretty sure that is 2A MIN, and not MAX.

for the GTX570 as i said i think the power consumption will be 570 Wat minimum

As I noted with a link to the horse's mouth, it is 550W.

Also, note, like many PSU providers, they use the eXtreme PSU Calculator Lite, and for that reason, I prefer to use the original. But note too, if you leave the defaults as is, you will get a much smaller recommendation and that is not a problem - but it leaves little to no room for future expansion or upgrades. So I generally recommend setting both TDP and system load to 100%. These steps ensure the supply has adequate head room for stress free (and perhaps quieter) operation, as well as future hardware demands. Setting capacitor aging to 10% (up to 30%) will build in extra buffer space too.

Since the computer will draw from the supply what it needs (and not what the supply can provide) having too big of a PSU hurts nothing, except perhaps your budget.

xGhandi

xGhandi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks for the feedback everyone!
I bought a GTX 560Ti, and a Coolermaster PSU, 600W. Which should be enough.

Another question, is it bad for my CPU if my graphics card is too heavy? Will the durability decrease, for example?

EDIT: It said 18A. Typo :)

Edited by xGhandi, 12 August 2011 - 12:42 PM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
For your CPU? Too heavy? Don't know what you mean. Understand the CPU is the main computer "chip" or IC, and it is mounted to your motherboard, which is located inside your computer case.

xGhandi

xGhandi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Like, will my processor get problems when a big/heavy video card is used. Will the processor suffer from it? Or can I freely use the 560Ti in my pc, regardless of my processor?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

will my processor get problems when a big/heavy video card is used

I really want to assume you do not mean too heavy, as in it physically weighs (as in pounds and ounces) too much - but assuming tends to get me into trouble. If you do mean weight, that is one of the reasons graphics cards are secured to the case with a mounting screw, so the weight of the card, including the heatsink(s) and fan, do not put undue stress on the motherboard where the card's slot is mounted.

If you mean "powerful", the processor does not care, or even know what graphics card you are using. The motherboard determines which CPU and graphics card interface (PCIe in this case) it supports. It is then up to the operating system to make all three (and the rest of the hardware) work together.

todo

todo

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Like, will my processor get problems when a big/heavy video card is used. Will the processor suffer from it? Or can I freely use the 560Ti in my pc, regardless of my processor?

I think he want to say Bottle necking :) isn't that's right ??? :unsure:
Well for this CPU i don't think will be a Big bottle neck problem

Congrats on the GPU + PSU i hope you enjoy playing games

Edited by todo, 12 August 2011 - 01:06 PM.

xGhandi

xGhandi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks a lot todo and Digerati. Yes I meant heavy as in powerful. I should've chosen that word instead. In Dutch, "heavy" and "powerful" can mean the same thing, though I'm not sure how that translates to English. Anyway, thanks again. I'll go put my PSU in my computer now. Have to wait a little longer for my 560Ti. I don't have a dvi cable :)

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

In Dutch, "heavy" and "powerful" can mean the same thing

They can in English too. A "heavy hitter" is one who wields a lot of power.

todo

todo

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Thanks a lot todo and Digerati. Yes I meant heavy as in powerful. I should've chosen that word instead. In Dutch, "heavy" and "powerful" can mean the same thing, though I'm not sure how that translates to English. Anyway, thanks again. I'll go put my PSU in my computer now. Have to wait a little longer for my 560Ti. I don't have a dvi cable :)

your welcome

Digerati Is our hardware Geek Master :) he has a lot of knowledge
so do we here at geekstogo if need anything don't be shy to ask we will do Our Best to help you

any way to be sure that the GPU is working as it should Do some Bench testing
Using 3Dmark 11 also don't forget to Look at the Temperatures while doing that

You may notice that my post Look a Bit cheesy i'm practicing on Making my posts Look like
quiteman's posts :yes: that dude Put alot of effort in his Posts :unsure:

xGhandi

xGhandi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
That reminds me... temperature. My cooling sucks (I think :S). One 4 inch fan is cooling my motherboard with outside-of-the-case air ,(the fan is inside) and a 4 inch fan is cooling my CPU. I think I need a new fan or two? Any thoughts?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

Digerati Is our hardware Geek Master he has a lot of knowledge

I don't know about that but I have been doing hardware support for a long time.

4 inch is not a common size. That's about 100mm. Standard case sizes are (measured across width of box housing, not diagonally) 80mm, 92mm(rare), 120mm, 140mm and some cases are coming with 200mm, 240mm, and 250mm.

What are your temperatures? If you don't have a HW monitor, see HWMonitor from CPUz.

It is the cases job to provide good front to back air flow through the case. Inspect the case front to back to see what it supports. See if your PSU has any extra fan, or 4-pin molex power connectors - the used on older, EIDE drives. You may need to buy a splitter.

Daniel le Pair

Daniel le Pair

• Pip
  • 1 posts
The 4 inch only was a rough estimate.

When I get home from work, I'll put in my new PSU and GPU. Then I'll check my temperatures. Do I have to do this when I am playing a game? Or check it in the bios settings?

or 4-pin molex power connectors - the used on older, EIDE drives. You may need to buy a splitter.

Don't really know what that all means, but I'll google it later, see what I can find out.