Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Getting the GTX 570

• Please log in to reply

xGhandi

xGhandi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Can't edit my latest post? :S Anyway..

I put in my GPU and PSU, both working great. Haven't tried any games yet though. The temperature my Asus Smartdoctor gives me is and stays around 37C or 98F. I'll check the temperatures when playing a game later. What temperature should my GPU be?

Also, in Smartdoctor, there are three slider which I can customize. They are 1)Vcore 2)Engine and 3)Memory. I read the help page, and by increasing those sliders, I will overclock my GPU. I assume this is not a smart thing to do? Maybe I can overclock it when I get better cooling.

Guess I can't overclock it anyway because my processor limits my GPU?

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

When I get home from work, I'll put in my new PSU and GPU. Then I'll check my temperatures. Do I have to do this when I am playing a game? Or check it in the bios settings?

Idle temps are less important (unless high at idle). Checking when the system is being stressed is best. You can't check GPU temps in the BIOS. You will have to use another utility - the one that came with the card.

I personally am not a fan of overclocking because it way to often is done without a thorough understanding of the added necessary precautions, or the circumstances of running electronics above published specs.

GPU temps run hotter than CPU temps. Over 70°C is not uncommon.

xGhandi

xGhandi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I just played Crysis 2 for half an hour. Maxed out all graphics with 1920x1080 res. Got around 50 fps, which is spectacular, compared to my old GPU. :)

After that 0.5 hour, the GPU temperature was around 60C. I'll check again when I've played a little longer.

Everything is working great :unsure:

todo

todo

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Daniel le Pair / xGhandi :)

who's who ???

xGhandi

xGhandi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Daniel le Pair is my real name. Ghandi is often my nickname.