Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can I set two firewalls at the same time

• Please log in to reply

Chinedu

Chinedu

• Pip
  • 0 posts
Heelo Geeks,
I want to know is it ok to set two firewalls at the same time.? for example ZoneAlarm firewall and windows default firewall at the same time.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Normally I would say you need to start a new topic but in this case this is a easy one to answer so I'll answer for you.
It is never a good ideal to run 2 firewalls and you are going to run into issues that one may allow a site or a request to go through and the other will not. Also you will find that in time the request for a site will take longer as it has to go through 2 hosts files to see if it is a good site.
It runs on the same principle as running two real time AV programs. The possibility of a false positive report and the amount of system resources it uses nullifies any reason to do this.
I would suggest you pick one that is all you need.
Personally I have seen where Zone Alarm can be a little stressful to teach what is a good site and what not to allow.
I would stick to Windows firewall and adjust the settings you need.

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
Can it be done? Maybe.

Would it be helpful? No

Why would you even consider doing so?

Two or more Firewalls will definitely conflict, causing difficulty for your machine's proper functioning.

Best Regards

Edited by Doug, 12 August 2011 - 11:47 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Oh snap we meet again. :) :yes: :unsure:

todo

todo

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
hi there welcome to Geektogo

mmm two firewall a good idea but
there will be an issue with most firewalls it depend on the structure and the design
of the software all of the current Firewall will crash and will be less secure for you than one Firewall
i'm talking of course about software firewall

anyway there is new Product still in beta that will work with your current Firewall
the product is webroot secureanyware
that consist of Malware scanner and firewall that will work with your other Firewalls etc...

as for hardware Firewalls you can set one and it's recommended to have a hardware firewall
Most router have a built in firewall that is pretty efficient

you can read More about firewalls and How to set them up and test them
in GRC.com Shieldsup

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It is never a good ideal to have more then one firewall setup at a time.
Your surfing may be seriously impaired because one firewall may allow something and the other may not.