Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Power cuts out during reboot

• Please log in to reply

xoscarx

xoscarx

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hi there,

I have a Toshiba Satellite running XP

I was using it when I saw the battery light was on and when I went to check to make sure the plug was in it shut down before I touched anything. (I don't think the problem is a poor connection)

I started it up to a black screen that said it stopped responding , restarted unexpectedly or was automatically shut down. It gives me the option of starting in safe mode, in safe mode with networking, in safe mode with command prompt, starting normally, or using the last good configuration.

If I choose "normally" or "last configuration" it starts windows then the power cuts out and it restarts the computer again going to the same screen. If I safe mode in scrolls through some files but the power cuts off again.

Help!

I'm not sure if this is relevant but this computer hasn't been connected to the internet in 6 years or so. But the AT&T person who came to hook up the internet plugged it into this computer while I was out of the room. I came back and it seemed to only be on the Google Homepage. I immediately unconnected it. I'm not sure if it was able to catch a virus in that time. The security updates are several years old. And this happened a day or two later.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Oscar

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi xoscarx
Have you tried removing the battery and starting with only the AC adapter connected and powered on?
This could also be an overheating problem, when if ever was the laptop cleaned out of heat trapping dust, do you hear the CPU fan running on start up and do you have the XP or boot disk that may have been supplied with the laptop, you may need to do a repair installation of XP "how to" http://www.geekstogo...air-windows-xp/

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
xoscarx

It has been three days since the offer of help was posted.
May I ask if you have made any progress with the problem.
If you have solved the issue, please post and if possible indicating what was the cause.
If you require further help please do not hesitate to ask.

xoscarx

xoscarx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
I will remove the battery and give it a try. It tends to close down at the exact same time every time. I do not have the XP or boot disk.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
See if it will boot to BIOS setup.
It may well tell you on the first screen to enter setup press key -
It was F1 on many Toshibas.
See if you can get into BIOS.
Please do not change anything. I just want you to see if it will allow you to access it.
A general example of the screen you will see is attached.

Please provide the exact model of Toshiba satellite, it will be on the base of the laptop.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 18 August 2011 - 06:36 PM.

xoscarx

xoscarx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Thanks for being patient and for the help. I don't really have regular internet access right now so it might take a while to respond.I appreciate the help.

First, I tried to remove the battery but couldn't. It seems like I would have to take the whole thing apart. I unscrewed 2 screws near it hoping that they help just the battery but it didn't really budge anything. Also the battery has been pretty non-functioning for a couple of years now. Previous to this current problem, if I didn't have the computer plugged in, the power would cut out in about 2 minutes or so. I'm not sure if this is relevant to the current problem.

I tried to hit F1 at various parts during the computer booting. It didn't do anything. There is an option of hitting F12 which does take me to the Boot Selection Menu.

I also do hear the fan starting up.

I'm not sure of the exact model. This is written on the bottom.

1805-S04 System Unit
C1000,13,256,20DVD,M/L

I hope that's enough to help.

-Oscar

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
The battery is removed by sliding across to the right as you see the picture the cover, using the finger grip on the edge of the cover. The battery container will then slide out and then the battery is lifted out of that.
Image of cover and battery attached for you.

The Escape key - Esc is the one to press to see if you can get to BIOS.

Try the battery first, power to mains and see if you can get a boot to windows, in normal or Safe mode.
If not see if it will boot to the BIOS.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 26 August 2011 - 09:21 AM.

xoscarx

xoscarx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
I took the battery out but nothing different happened.
I hit the Esc key once I turned it on. The screen was black (no the BIOS screenshot you showed) and the message read:
"Check System. Then press [F1] key"

It seemed to stay like this for awhile. I believe to be a software problem rather than being a part of the physical system.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

I believe to be a software problem rather than being a part of the physical system.

If it will not boot to BIOS by pressing Esc key and then F1, then it is very unlikely that the cause of this problem is purely a software porblem.

In fact, your first post

I was using it when I saw the battery light was on and when I went to check to make sure the plug was in it shut down before I touched anything

indicates otherwise.

As phillpower2 advised it could be an overheating problem.

At this stage and depending on your level of knowledge and competance, although we can guide you, I would recommend taking out the hard drive, enclosing it and seeing if can be accessed on another computer.
Alternatively, but we need to be able to boot from CD, which may well need you to access the BIOS, to change the boot order we can see if we can get a boot from CD.
The problem may as I have said lie with the hard drive, the motherboard itself, a power issue, not necessarily in the power supply to the computer, but an internal problem, memory etc. It is really a question of seeing if we can establish the cause.
If you have no familiarility with taking out parts from a laptop, it MAY be better if you sought help from someone who can actually work with it, rather than online help.
That is not to suggest that we on GeekstoGo are not willing to continue, the decision is yours, but without some experience, even taking out the hard drive, maybe a step too far for you.

xoscarx

xoscarx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
It allows me to boot from a CD. I can hit the F10 button during the Toshiba boot screen and it allows me that option. I do not have a boot disc however.

It always continues to give me a black screen that says it stopped responding , restarted unexpectedly or was automatically shut down. It gives me the option of starting in safe mode, in safe mode with networking, in safe mode with command prompt, starting normally, or using the last good configuration.

Also it seems that when Windows starts it flashes a blue screen for a nano second before the power shuts off. I've had problems in the past with the computer being overwhelmed with information (like too many windows popping up) and the power shutting off. This happened the last time I tried to connect the computer to the internet. It downloading a lot of updates, but maybe had problems processing them. Then it would turn off.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
http://www.thecomput...om/files/rc.iso

Using the above link download the recovery console ISO

Burn it using this link
http://sites.google....-console-for-xp

Then run "chkdsk C: /r"
note space between C: and /r

presuming it identifies C as the hard drive with windows.

The instructions for using the CD once you have made it are on the link with the burning instructions and on the lower left hand corner of that page the first Microsoft link.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 26 August 2011 - 02:42 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
xoscarx

Have you managed to make any progress on the making of the Recovery Console CD.
Please post and let us know how it is going.

xoscarx

xoscarx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hey Macbotmaster,

I haven't been able to take care of it yet. I've been pretty busy with a lot of things. Thanks for your patience. This Recover Console CD looks helpful. I will let you know in the next couple days how it's going.

Thanks,
Oscar

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
No problem will wait for your response.
The CD will be the Recovery Console,so quite a number of commands can be run, but as it is NOT also the installation CD, the commands to copy files from the installation medium cannot of course be run.
Good luck.

xoscarx

xoscarx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Still here. It's proving difficult to find a computer I can download and burn stuff with. I'll let you know how it goes as soon as I can.

Thanks again for your help and patience.