Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Massive, Seemingly Random Ping Spikes

• Please log in to reply

brainsickhater

brainsickhater

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My ISP has never treated me well, but ever since I came back from a vacation, my ping has been unstable to say the least.

I play League of Legends and had never had latency problems, but I started up a game while my father was watching netflix, which had never bothered me before, and my latency reached over 10,000. Then, I was playing while I was home alone and my ping spiked to 1100, just for maybe 20 seconds and that was it. Most recently, my father was playing Text Twist, an online flash game, and my latency began to fluctuate between 150 and 1400.

I pinged google servers and had an average of 1478ms latency. I ran speedtest.net and got 1399 ping. I went to eat dinner, came back, ran another speed test and got 102 ping. During both of the speedtests my father had stopped playing text twist, but the after dinner one was admittedly later.

While the first spikes seemed to be caused by Netflix, the more recent ones seem to be more random.

Is the latency the effect of extremely low bandwidth? And, if so, why could my bandwidth have dropped so suddenly after I came back from vacation?

Edited by brainsickhater, 12 August 2011 - 07:35 PM.

Advertisements

Amst3rDamag3

Amst3rDamag3

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Hi there brainsickhater and a warm welcome at GeeksToGo!tm

Feel free to look around and bask in the glory of our forum :unsure:
Your ping issue can be caused by a lot of different possibilities, so let's start simple...
  • It could be some auto-update function, AV definitions update, Acrobat installer, Microsoft Update and so on and on, as you said you were on a vacation for a while...
  • If you're sure it's not that, you could try to disconnect the modem/router from the power-source for a couple of minutes and then try again.
  • If you're a bit savvy, you could reset it after that, if needed, and install the latest firmware.

Good luck :) and please let us know if it worked!

Edited by Amst3rDamag3, 13 August 2011 - 08:46 AM.