Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Core 2 Quad 6600 running single core?

• Please log in to reply

TeachPower

TeachPower

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
I came to realize that I built my machine running to run an Intel quad core (Q6600 2.4 ghz) but has been only running on a single core. My mistake as this machine was my first experience with multi-core and didn't notice it should have 4 graphs instead of one on the task manager > performance tab.

I was given a machine that has an AMD Dual Core 2.2ghz and more RAM (4 gigs compared to my 2 gigs). My question is, is it worth the time and effort to transplant the hardware (video card, hard drive, optical drive, etc.), reinstall Windows, and file transfer my applications/programs from my machine to the AMD machine? Basically the only difference between my machine and the AMD machine is the CPU and RAM. Will I get a performance boost that is worth all that work?

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Understand TM showing one or all cores is a view setting option (One or ALL). Do you have that set for "All"?

What does CPUz say?

TeachPower

TeachPower

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Digerati... here is a screen shot of what CPUz says. This is a photo from months ago when I wrote about my problem of my quad core acting like a single core.
Posted Image

Could it be I set up multipliers and such in BIOS wrong? I think what the problem is is that I happened to buy the only quad core processor my motherboard (XFX nforce 7150 630i) is not compatible with. When I was trying to diagnose this problem, I saw in the compatible CPU list for my mobo that my Q6600 has a TDP not supported (95W vs 105W). My mobo on the attached CPU compatibility PDF is the MBN6307159.

If not my BIOS is configured wrong then is it worth the trouble of what I said in my original post?

Attached Files

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Old thread here: http://www.geekstogo...ost&pid=1987965

Did you look in msconfig > boot > advanced and make sure nothing is checked?

It seems the only solution was to do an upgrade or repair install of Windows: http://answers.micro...e8-f122894c5b31

TeachPower

TeachPower

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
I remembered I tried everything you and others suggested with no success. By looking up the info on my Q6600 CPU I found the TDP is 95W (info here http://www.tigerdire...3933&CatId=3406). Looking at the compatible quad core CPU's on the PDF I attached two replies up, the Q6600 with a TDP of 105W. I don't know if I have the 95W or 105W. I would love to solve the problem of my quad core acting like a single core and not switching everything over to the AMD dual core.

Whichever the case will there be more power and performance by switching to the AMD dual core 2.2ghz rig and transporting everything over?

Edited by TeachPower, 13 August 2011 - 11:34 AM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Contact AMD. See what they say. Maybe there's a beta BIOS they will let your try that includes more CPU support. Or maybe they will say the compatible CPU list is not right and your system should be supporting your CPU.

I came to realize that I built my machine... ...only running on a single core.

So you feel from day one, your CPU has been running on just one core? Or was it working right for awhile and now is not?

Did you look in msconfig > boot > advanced and make sure nothing is checked?

I remembered I tried everything you and others suggested with no success.

That was several months ago - lots can happen in that time. We need to start fresh. Please verify now that nothing is checked under that msconfig location.

My question is, is it worth the time and effort to transplant the hardware (video card, hard drive, optical drive, etc.), reinstall Windows, and file transfer my applications/programs from my machine to the AMD machine?

There my answer is the same as before

A new motherboard brings in several complications. A motherboard is not one device. It is many hardware devices integrated into one big "main" or "mother" board. If you simply try to move your hard drive over, Windows will not find the correct drivers. It may stumble along and recover with generic drivers until you install the new ones. But it may choke and you lose everything.

Also, what type Windows license do you have? Note if OEM/System Builders, or an Upgrade License, it is NOT transferable to a new motherboard because a new motherboard constitutes a new computer. The ONLY exception is if you replace the motherboard as part of a repair action and with the identical brand and model number (or replacement recommended by original maker if board no longer in production). You cannot "upgrade" a motherboard and use the same OEM/System Builders or Upgrade licenses. Only full Retail licenses are transferable.

Is it worth the time, effort, and money? - If a new license is needed? I think if AMD confirms yours is not compatible I would shop around for a compatible CPU before I decided to transfer. Or maybe use that to justify a whole new build. You know you want one anyway! :)

TeachPower

TeachPower

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
The CPU that I am having the problem with recognizing 4 cores is the Intel Q6600 I have... not the AMD one.

To answer your question about seeing if everything was unchecked... yes in the msconfig everything is unchecked in the msconfig > boot > advanced.

I am fine with doing a complete reinstall of Windows if I have to transfer some of my hardware [hard drive, video card, sound card, wireless card, RAM] to the AMD machine.

And to answer your last question... don't TEMPT me with justifying / rationalizing a new build. Too much temptation. Temptation bad :)

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Sorry about the AMD mix up. I meant contact the motherboard maker.

Do heed my warnings about simply moving the HD over. The technical issues with totally different drivers is a big issue. And the legal issues with OEM licenses, which are not transferable.