Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Desktop loads but freezes stright away

• Please log in to reply

fleggy1

fleggy1

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
hey desktop loads completely but freezes stight away safemode works fine stoped all start up options still dosent work please help have run a malwarebytes scan came clean

Edited by fleggy1, 15 August 2011 - 09:44 AM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
fleggy1

Your last thread on this site in the Malware forum started on 27 July ended with this post from the expert who was helping you

Posted 28 July 2011 - 05:07 PM

Yes please as I would like to see the variant, plus do you have any further problems

You NEVER replied, the topic was then closed on 1 August.
Please assure me that you intend to follow this thread through to a conclusion.
There is little more annoying than assisting and then the matter just being left by the Originator.
The reason the further log was asked for, was to ensure that the system was in fact clean.

If you wish to proceed, please provide the make and model of the computer, if branded AND what else you have tried, for instance a chkdsk and a system file check.
As it is OK in Safe Mode, we may at this stage presume it is a driver or process, as Safe Mode loads only a minimum required.
Does Safe Mode with Networking also work OK.
Have you checked in Device Manager for any warnings.
Have you recently installed any new hardware or software.
If the problem is VERY recent have you tried a system restore point bearing in mind that you will lose anything installed or updated since then.

fleggy1

fleggy1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
ahh sugar i forgot about that =\ sorry erm its a custom build with xp home sp3 and safe mode with networking works, i ran the computer with the startup set on diagnosticmode and it worked but as soon as i put it back it stopped also ran chkdsk and it fixed some security things but still dosent work, device manager wont show anything also system restore failed when i tryed, it just crashed last night and now dosent work properly =\

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
If you have not already done so run a chkdsk /r.
As against a chkdsk /f.
Do you mean system restore did not fix anything or do you mean system restore would not work whatsoever please clarify.
chkdsk /r is either check both boxes on the graphical user interface in My Computer or type the cmd chkdsk /r at a cmd prompt

fleggy1

fleggy1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
yea i checked both boxes and also it started to run and then just says it failed to restore

fleggy1

fleggy1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
ahh i disabled all the services and am in but lost all restor points am starting the services one by one

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

ahh i disabled all the services and am in but lost all restor points am starting the services one by one

You will have done, as presumably you did this

Step 4: Optional step to disable features
If the clean boot fixed the error, you do not have to perform this step.

Important If your problem is not fixed and you do have to follow this step, it permanently removes all restore points from your computer. The System Restore feature uses restore points to restore your computer to an earlier state. If you remove the restore points, you can no longer restore Windows to an earlier state.

This step temporarily disables Microsoft features such as Plug and Play, networking, event logging, and error reporting.
  • Click Start, click Run, type msconfig, and then click OK.
    The System Configuration Utility dialog box is displayed.
  • Click the General tab, click to clear the Load System Services check box, and then click OK.
  • When you are prompted, click Restart to restart the computer.
When you should have only proceeded to step 3.

Method 2: Manually starting XP with a clean boot (advanced user only)
This section is intended for advanced computer users. If you are not comfortable with advanced troubleshooting, you might want to ask someone for help or contact Support. For information about how to contact Microsoft support, visit the following Microsoft Web site: http://support.micro....com/contactus/To manually start Windows XP with a clean boot, follow these steps:
Step 1: Start the System Configuration Utility
  • Click Start, click Run, type msconfig, and then click OK.
  • The System Configuration Utility dialog box is displayed.
Step 2: Configure selective startup options
  • In the System Configuration Utility dialog box, click the General tab, and then click Selective Startup.
  • Click to clear the Process SYSTEM.INI File check box.
  • Click to clear the Process WIN.INI File check box.
  • Click to clear the Load Startup Items check box. Verify that Load System Services and Use Original BOOT.INI are checked.
  • Click the Services tab.
  • Click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box.
  • Click Disable All, and then click OK.
  • When you are prompted, click Restart to restart the computer.
Step 3: Log on to Windows
  • If you are prompted, log on to Windows.
  • When you receive the following message, click to select the Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows start check box, and then click OK.

Notes
  • You have used the System Configuration Utility to make changes to the way Windows starts.
  • The System Configuration Utility is currently in Diagnostic or Selective Startup mode, causing this message to be displayed and the utility to run every time Windows starts.
  • Choose the Normal Startup mode on the General tab to start Windows normally and undo the changes you made using the System Configuration Utility.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 15 August 2011 - 02:13 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Further to the above may I suggest that your interests are best served, once you have asked for help by doing ONLY what I suggest, until you decide to withdraw from the issue and attempt to solve the matter on your own.
That said, it is of course your computer and you may do as you wish - of course.

fleggy1

fleggy1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
i clear the services and start up stuff and it works fine, sorry ive been workin with comps for 3 years am jus trying out ideas but ill wait

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
No problem, I quite understand.
My next suggestion was going to be a clean boot

However, presuming that it will if you now configure normal boot, freeze, stay in clean boot and run this please.
  • Please download the Event Viewer Tool by Vino Rosso VEW and save it to your Desktop:
  • Double-click VEW.exe
  • Under 'Select log to query', select (as appropriate):
    • Application
    • System This one in your case pls.
  • Under 'Select type to list', select (as appropriate):
    • Error SELECT ONLY THIS PLEASE ON FIRST RUN
    • Information
    • Warning
Then use the 'Date of events' or 'Number of events' as follows:

Either:
  • Click the radio button for 'Number of events'
    Type 3 in the 1 to 20 box (or any number from 1 to 20) in your case enter 15
    Then click the Run button.
    Notepad will open with the output log.
  • Click the radio button for 'Date of events'
    In the From: boxes type today's date (presuming the crash happened today) in your case the date approx five days ago
    In the To: boxes type today's date
    Then click the Run button.
    Notepad will open with the output log.
Please post the Output log in your next reply

If it will not run in clean boot, try it in normal boot.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 15 August 2011 - 02:51 PM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Whilst I analyse the event viewer results runs this please.
Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others).

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop.com
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!" OR YOU CAN RUN THE TEST ANON. without signing up. - you will see that at the end of that screen. The results will still be saved long enough for me to look at them.
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 15 August 2011 - 02:53 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
And then whilst you are waiting please run a system file check.
That is Start, run and type
sfc /scannow
Please note the space between sfc and /scannow.

It may well ask for the XP CD

fleggy1

fleggy1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
right i downloaded that application the first one and i click run and it dosent work

fleggy1

fleggy1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
oh erm i dnt get what am doing on the 2nd one

fleggy1

fleggy1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
i dnt ave xp cd iver =\ which it asked for