Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Pentium D 3.0 GHz v/s Pentium Dual Core 2.6 GHz

• Please log in to reply

vivelashani

vivelashani

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Heyy friends,

I've a small doubt.

Is Intel Pentium D 3.0 GHz or Intel Pentium Dual Core E5300 2.6 GHz processor better ?

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
The dual core will always be faster than a single core. I had one of the first dual core processors( a 2.2 gig). First thing i noticed was that i could now play videos much better with no lag at all. I couldn't say the same about my Pentium D 3.06 overclocked to 3.54. It just couldn't match the dual core. Of course now i prefer the quad cores even if there is few programs that use all the cores fully.

SRX660

vivelashani

vivelashani

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks a lot for your help. Actually, I asked because I wanted to play GTA IV. One of my friends has played it with annoying lags. His processor is Pentium D 3.0. I've the same system specifications as his except for RAM (which I've is 1GB and he's got 2). So I'm about to upgrade my RAM to 2GB. So I hope I'd play that without much of a lag, since my processor (which is Pentium Dual Core 2.6 GHz) is faster than his !

Thanks again :)

rangerz

rangerz

• Pip
  • 1 posts
pentium D has single core right? but in wikipedia and intel official site it has pentium D has 2 cores but mine only shows 1

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
The pentium D has always had 2 cpu cores. They just run in a single mode. They also usually only have 1 mb of L1 cache. True dual cores run the cpu's separately so they can run much faster than a pentium D. They also usually have 2mb of L1 cache and later ones had 4mb L1 cache.

SRX660