Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PSU mounting question. it won't fit!

• Please log in to reply

Mason24

Mason24

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Hello, I recently bought the Cooler Master HAF 922 and a Corsair AX850. I believe the fan is supposed to be facing downwards because there looks to be intake holes, I can't get the PSU to fit right unless i remove the guard. The case also has these little rubber mattings on the bottom which are probably for vibration but thats the reason it won't fit. Anyone else ever had this kind of issue? Thanks

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hello, this happens to me every now and again depending on PSU/case combination used. Generally I can make them fit with a little "encouragement" or there might be something that I can undo first.

Check out the case manual if there is anything mentioned.

Mason24

Mason24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
The manual isn't any good, its very thick but thats because there is about 30 different languages in it. the metal guard on the psu fan sticks out a little bit if i could take that off i might be okay, but then there are the bumpers im not sure if it would allow the fan to spin.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hhhmmm sounds like a tricky one. Possibly upload some pics and I'll have a look?

Amst3rDamag3

Amst3rDamag3

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Hello, I recently bought the Cooler Master HAF 922 and a Corsair AX850. I believe the fan is supposed to be facing downwards

Not to interfere or anything,
But the PSU cooling fan is mounted upward on the model you named, and I take it you are placing it on the floor of the case?

In any case, the fan should be mounted in such a way, that the airflow is free and unhindered.
PSU's draw their "cool" air from inside the case, and dump their "hot" air out of the back-side, normally.. (like me :unsure:)

Also, there might be a dust-guard on the case itself, remove that before trying to install the PSU.

Good luck :) and let us know the results!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I have the 932 model and mounting the PSU the correct way was no problem. Mounting it upside down will defeat the purpose of it being able to blow hot air out of the system.

Mason24

Mason24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
The reason behind thinking that the fan faces downwards is because there is a mesh breather holes at the bottom, and i don't care if the label on the back of the psu is upside down or not but i assumed it was supposed to be normal or does it not make a difference?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It does make a difference as I stated above. The reason for the fan on the back of the PSU normally is to blow the hot air out. In your case the fans are on the top and bottom. One will pull air from the inside of the case and the other blows it out therefor allowing the HAF case to function properly.
BTW HAF stands for High Air Flow and pulling air in will cripple the air flow that naturally happens within the case.

Amst3rDamag3

Amst3rDamag3

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
It's all about unrestricted airflow...
The fan on the PSU draws "cold" air in, then pushes "warm" air (from the PSU) out of the back of the whole system...

So....
If the case is high enough of the ground and has enough holes underneath the PSU, you can mount it with the fan downward. Make sure the case is of the ground and does not come into contact with much dust / hair if you do this !!! (which is "almost impossible" if you have pets)

On the safe side; your case is designed to have a front-to-back airflow, you could easily mount the PSU like in the pic I added.

Good luck Posted Image

Note: In any case, the airflow must be as unrestricted as possible. Tie up loose wires and neatly get them as much out of the way you can after installing the PSU, to enhance overall cooling of the system (and PSU).

EDIT: Ron is quicker then me :)

Attached Thumbnails

• mount PSU.jpg

Edited by Amst3rDamag3, 18 August 2011 - 07:10 PM.

Mason24

Mason24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
I would like to thank you all for such good help, I've built a few pc's but none every with a bottom mounted psu. I've browsed many forums with people putting them in fan down/up and in my case the psu can only go with the fan up because it will not fit fan down with the psu fan guard on.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is your PSU one that has a fan on the top and one on the back?

Amst3rDamag3

Amst3rDamag3

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
I forgot to mention this:
If you place your fan upwards, make ABSOLUTELY SURE NO LOOSE SCREWS, WIRES OR CONNECTORS CAN EVER FALL INTO THE PSU...

Glad to be of service! :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

If you place your fan upwards, make ABSOLUTELY SURE NO LOOSE SCREWS, WIRES OR CONNECTORS CAN EVER FALL INTO THE PSU...

For exactly this reason - always, always mount the PSU with the fan facing downward. There is a filter underneath where the PSU mounts because it is so the PSU does not collect any dust. Also the PSU will be able to draw it's own cool air from the bottom (underneath the case, essentially) and out the PSU's own exhaust. It essentially creates it's own little cooling zone which enhances the case's airflow.