Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell Inspiron Goes Black After 2 seconds

• Please log in to reply

K3V

K3V

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,
I am trying to fix my mom's Dell Inspiron E1505.

When you press the power button it begins to start up, the dell screen pops up but before anything can happen it goes black and wont display.

After that I leave the power on and shut the lid and when I come back to it after a few minutes and open it the screen will display for a brief moment with the desktop and everything but a red tint and then goes black again within a second.

I have tried researching but can't find anyone with this problem.

EDIT and UPDATE: It works if I hook it up to a TV or Monitor and use Fn+CRT to switch it over.
What do you think could be wrong with the display.. fixable, or replaceable?

Any advice or help is much appreciated.
Thanks!

Edited by K3V, 17 August 2011 - 09:59 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi K3V :unsure:
The fact that you get a display on an external screen makes the MB to screen video ribbon a strong possibility as the cause of the issue, this can be as a result of nothing more than regular use (opening and closing the lid) the ribbon can become damaged or detached/loose in the socket and so interrupt the display signal.
Checking and/or replacing the video ribbon is a task best left to a suitably competent/qualified person and it is also expensive, here are a couple of links to help you decide on the way you wish to proceed;
Replacement ribbon http://www.amazon.co...n/dp/B003L2LCHO
Dell user manual and disassembly guide http://support.dell....en/sm/index.htm
Pictorial guide (easier to follow) http://www.insidemyl...ng-cooling-fan/
Below is some information I have just found and I suggest that you check it out first as it may be an easier solution;

The LCD on the E1505 is connected by a small connector to the motherboard.
If you have a small flathead screwdriver, use that to pry off the small plastic bezel which is located between your keyboard and the LCD. It has the power button on it. (You need to fold the LCD back 180 degrees to remove the plastic bezel properly)
Once removed, you will need to remove the two screws which hold the keyboard down. The LCD ribbon connector is located by the print screen button on the keyboard. Make sure that the connector is connected all of the way

Good troubleshooting on your behalf already :)

K3V

K3V

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks a lot for your input!

Update on the situation.. I checked out the display connection.. disconnected it re-seated it. tried to make sure there were no kinks, plugged everything back in. There were some positive results, the screen came on for a little bit longer but not much. I noticed (i don't know if it was like this last night because it's so subtle and hard to see) but you can barely see the windows open. very very dim almost impossible to see.

Any more thoughts with this additional info?

Thanks again.
Kevin B

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Sorry to say but it may still be the display ribbon and the slight improvement after checking it reinforces this, other possible causes may include a failing backlight or inverter but the symptoms you describe are slightly different.