Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer turns on, won't boot?

• Please log in to reply

Dartulius

Dartulius

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi guys, just built my first rig and frankly, I'm stumped as to what is wrong. Got the computer to boot up, but when I turn it on, I get the option to either boot to Windows or go into system repair. Well, if I try and hit the Boot to Windows option, it just goes back to the same screen. I tried running System Repair and it says that there is a hardware or software malfunction. Now, my assumptions are either that I need to change something within BIOS or the PC is not recognizing my OS. I will list the specs below.

Biostar A870U3 AMD 870 ATX DDR3 1333 AM3 Motherboard
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition Processor
Nvidia GeForce GTX 560Ti GPU
8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 1333MHz RAM
750GB Samsung 7200 RPM HDD

Now my reasoning behind the OS being an issue is this. I am using the HDD out of an old PC, and that HDD already has Windows Vista on it. Now, research and tech support advice dictated that I would NOT have to buy another OS because I am using that HDD and it already has Vista on it. Is there something that I will have to format in order for the OS to work or what? Again, stumped here. Another thing, the driver disk that came with the CPU, do I need to just run that after everything boots to Windows once I get my current problem resolved? That was my other idea as what the issue may be here. Thanks to anyone who responds in advance.

Advertisements

Amst3rDamag3

Amst3rDamag3

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Hi Dartulius and a warm welcome here at GeeksToGo!tm

Is the Windows you have on that old HDD a RETAIL or a OEM version?
An OEM version is "merged" to the most basic system internals, like the mobo. So you will not be able to use an old OEM Windows on your new system, anyone correct me if I'm wrong...

In any case, when Windows is installed, it will automatically detect and install the appropriate generic hardware drivers needed to operate your system.
So, if you change the mobo, which you did, you're better off re-installing Windows alltoghether. (This will clear all data / partitions on the HDD, so back up your personal stuff before installing Windows.)

After that, I always advice to install the Chipset Drivers that came along with your new mobo. Newer versions of these drivers may also be available on the website of the manufacturer. This also applies to any Audio drivers, if you do not use an sound card.
I have never heard of a need to install CPU drivers, but that could be me.

Good luck :)