Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

First Time Builder needing component advice

• Please log in to reply

HisServant77

HisServant77

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hi everyone,

My name is Michael, newbie here.
I've been wanting to get into building PCs for a while now but never did take the plunge. I'm the type to always worry I'll not know enough and end up doing something wrong. So I prefer having the experts help me out and give me some advice.

I have absolutely none of those experts around me in person to help, so I was hoping I could get any help from you all here

I've done a bit of research and learned a bit of the lingo and all from various sites. However, as I'm ready to buy the components I was hoping I could see your advice on them! I'm wanting to build a computer that, of course, will last a good while before I should upgrade. I want it powerful enough for slightly-above average type media editing. Capable of HD of course. Gaming (not as hardcore, but still able to handle hardcore gaming if I so choose). I'd love for the ability later on to record video from my PS3 without having to buy an external DVR (will if I must). I'm hoping for at least 2 HDDs, 2 optical drives, and a card reader drive. I know all that depends upon the mobo having enough slots for sata connections and such, but I'm just listing all of what I'd like, to make sure I'm not overlooking, or if you have a better idea.

Since this is my first build and such and I'm trying to stay as within a budget as possible, I'm hoping to get a combo from Newegg that contains the following:

Rosewill GEAR X3 Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case,Support up to 15.36" Video Card,come with Three Fans-1x Front Blue LED 140mm Fan,1x Top 120mm Fan,1x Rear 120mm Fan (Model:GEAR X3) $69.99
This one seems decent to me, but again I'm not entirely sure. Should be enough for more HDDs later down the line, and enough for the optical drives and card reader I am wanting, correct?

ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard (Model:Maximus IV Gene-Z) $179.99

Good motherboard, right? Or not really? And enough expansion slots for a good graphics card, correct, which I do need!

Rosewill Green Series RG630-S12 630W Continuous @40°C,80 PLUS Certified, Single 12V Rail, Active PFC "Compatible with Core i7,i5" Power Supply (Model:RG630-S12) $59.99
Has this been reliable? My main concern though is that I also read elsewhere that to be on the safe side for what I'd like to do with it, my power supply should be 650watt or more. And this is only 630

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K (Model:BX80623I52500K) $219.99
Good enough CPU for what I'm needing. In face, I think from what I understand, it's pretty good overall and should have no trouble with media and gaming?

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9R (Model:CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9R) $64.99
I'd actually prefer getting 2 8GB sticks, but for now and for budget's sake (and with this combo, newegg takes off about $150), this should work fine?

Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive (Model:ST31000524AS) $59.99
And of course a second drive. The drive isn't too important since that's quite easy to upgrade and switch later on. I like WD better, but...

Sony Optiarc CD/DVD Burner Black SATA Model AD-7260S-0B (Model:AD-7260S-0B) $19.99

Decent, correct? I'd like to get an additional optical for CD/DVD burning, and/or a BD drive.

Panda Security Internet Security 2012 - System Builder (Model:B12IS12B1) $49.99
This...I've no clue why it's in the bundle but couldn't hurt really. I notice this has no OS. For my OS I'd like to eventually dual boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu, but Windows 7 first. I'd have to get that separate since it's not in this combo obviously.

And I'm missing a Network card (and proper graphics card I think). I'd like netgear since that's what I've experience with. Any advice on one in particular that should play nice with all these components?

Does it seem like I'm missing something I need, or that any of these components won't be compatible from anyone's experiences?

I'm very sorry for my ignorance on all this, and I truly, truly appreciate any and all help with this. As much as I've researched and read on the subject of building my own computer, it's still difficult for me to understand it all until I get my hands on actually doing it and see it for myself . . . and I'd rather ask the experts so I don't mess things up!

(Oh, and keyboards, mice, and monitor are all afterthoughts. I've a monitor, and several keyboards and mice. And will get a bluetooth keyboard/mouse...which . . . wait does this HAVE the BT capabilities?!)

Thank you again so much for any and all help and advice!

Edited by HisServant77, 19 August 2011 - 08:50 AM.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi Michael. :)

I will start you off and other members will hopefully come in with there suggestions and advice.

don"t worry, we all start of as newbies. If you can meet the following criteria, use a screw driver, follow a simple step by step build your own PC, common sense and a little patience, you will have no problems.

Large Combo Deals often have things you do not need, some poorer quality parts or bits that do not sell well. Not to say that there are some good bargains.

How much was that deal? Maybe post a link to it?
What budget do you have in mind?

Edited by iammykyl, 18 August 2011 - 11:49 PM.

HisServant77

HisServant77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Ah thank you so much for your help!

Here's the link to the deal:
Core i5-2500K Maximus GENE-Z ROG SuperCombo

I'm hoping to stick to around $800 for my budget (a little flexible on that, if it's not possible). I can always add the extras later on, but I want to make sure what I do get, can handle the extras I may add later on based upon what I had mentioned for recording, and gaming, and other media.

The combo above is about $725 before they take off about $180 if I buy it as a combo. Yet still after I add the OS at 130 that brings it close to my budget, and that's not even adding a proper graphics card!

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Rosewill does not have a good reputation for their supplies. BUT to get 80Plus certified, the supply must meet very tight efficiency standards across a wide range of loads. And for ANY power supply to achieve that, it has to be well designed using close tolerance (read: better quality) components. That's the rule and theory anyway, but of course there's always exceptions to the rule and theory and real world don't always meet.

I want it powerful enough for slightly-above average type media editing

Note that the best gaming systems are not well suited for graphics editing. For slightly-above average media editing, you will be fine, but if you get real serious. you need a "workstation" graphics solution, and they tend to be very expensive as seen here.

And I'm missing a Network card (and proper graphics card I think).

You really need to do your homework. Reading the review sites and visiting the product's website would show your motherboard has some of the best graphics around and network support built it. You might consider download the manuals for any product under consideration and for sure while waiting for delivery and familiarize yourself.

HisServant77

HisServant77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Thanks very much for the help and advice there, Digerati!

That's reassuring to hear that even though Rosewill doesn't exactly have the best rep, having the 80plus certification gives it good marks. For what I'm wanting from my computer, the power should be good enough even though it's less than 650watts, correct? I'm asking mostly because of what I was told that 650 is probably the safe ground for what I want. I also want to make sure I don't end up ruining any of the other components with a sub-par power supply and such. From your own opinion and understanding, would a better one be worth me getting?

I did hear about the motherboard having great graphics and network already built in, but I wanted to make sure, 100%, that I'm not forgetting anything at all for what I'm looking for in use.

I'm thinking I'll have to scrap going the bundle/combo route though because it appears some of the components are now out of stock. So to get them I'd have to buy elsewhere (or wait probably a good long while). So, should I look at other components or just stick with this as a good combo for my budget and desired use? (Asking both for your personal experience, know-how, and opinions!)

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.
With the best will in the world, taking into account your desired requirements, it has proved not possible to keep within your budget. This build will give you an excellent gaming rig. For a workstation it will be OK but needs added components, more RAM, second main HDD to give RAID, for serious work a workstation Video card.

Where possible I have selected parts with free shipping. There are some rebates to be deducted from the total. Taxes are not included.

Mobo. Asrock first choice, http://www.newegg.co...9^13-131-729-TS

CPU, http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819115072

PSU, Selected after other parts. http://www.newegg.co...1^17-139-021-TS

Case, Antec Three Hundred. http://www.newegg.co...1^11-129-021-TS

RAM, 8GB, http://www.newegg.co...5^20-145-345-TS

HDD,, OS drive, http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822136073

HDD, DATA drive, http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822152185

DVD Burner, http://www.newegg.co...N82E16827118039

Video card, all will give good results. http://www.newegg.co...8^14-102-948-TS

Windows7 64bit, OEM. http://www.newegg.co...N82E16832116986

Have e a look, check prices as they change often, let us know what you think.

HisServant77

HisServant77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Thanks very much, iammykyl :)

Yeah I was afraid that it wouldn't be able to be done within my budget. Haha, it always seems when it comes to computers I always seem to need the expensive ones. All the computers and laptops I've bought in the past have been $1600 and above. But putting those components you advised together and such will be roughly $1,000. So that's still the least expensive I've gone with, and this time it will last me a good while instead of just 3-4 years.

I'll definitely take your advice. I'll have to wait a while to save for it. But as you said, the prices may very well go down so I'll be watching them and buying them accordingly. It seems a very good route to go, and I truly do appreciate the help.

The PS I chose was the
Antec High Current Gamer Series HCG-750 750W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE

Thanks again, for all the help!

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

I'll have to wait a while to save for it. But as you said, the prices may very well go down so I'll be watching them and buying them accordingly. It seems a very good route to go, and I truly do appreciate the help.

It"s they way I usually have to go. I seem to pay the most and get the least when I try to sell!!!

Always happy to help, so keep in tough and let us know with updates how things progress.

The PS I chose was the
Antec High Current Gamer Series HCG-750 750W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE

That will make an extremely good base for the rest of the build.