Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer shutdowns

• Please log in to reply

locoh0bo

locoh0bo

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I recently got a 64 bit processor upgrade and a mobo upgrade. i am running windows xp pro. whenever i play WoW i can play for a while but then my computer just turns off. i can imidiatly turn my comp back on and play for a while, sometimes, othertimes it turns of quiker. its as if it is overheating but i have never seen my processor go above 47 and my borde at 25. i have done a burn in test on my processor and ram. 2800 amd procesor and ddr 333 1gb. i returned my mobo and procesor for new ones already to see if that was the problem and it seems its not the problem. I upgraded my chipset drivers and it seemed to fix it for a long time but now it is acting up again.
also... eventually the old mobo and processor would not work at all and my comp did not even beep, thats why i returned the mobo and procesor. when i tried my old video card (9800 pro) in the two new components it would do the same thing. when i put in a different video card (9500) it worked imediatly until now. I have one good exauste above teh video card and inline with the procesor and i have one intake angled at 45 degrees up at the bottom of the video card (sucking throught hte extra PCI slots).
Mobo: gigabyte, k8 triton GA-K8NS
Procesor: AMD 2800

what can i do?!
Overheating? - videocard?
memory leak?
need windows 64?

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
What PSU are you using?

locoh0bo

locoh0bo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
a 450w echostar... i used a voltmeter to check voltages and they were fine

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Not being rude but echostar is a really cheap brand. Also bear in mind that the 450W rating will only be the peak power rating not the continuos power rating.

Do you only ever get this problem in this one game?

locoh0bo

locoh0bo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
no. sometimes when i leave my comp on for a wile (24 hrs) i come back to it turned off. another time it happened when i was just browsing the internet. in the past 2 days it has not happened. it has been cooler in my room due to rain... but im not sure it is heat.
unlikely, but could it be my internet connection. it is very spazzy and my problem seems to heppen when there is high traffic in the game.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Ahhh, I didn't realise this was an online game. It is possible that this is internet related in that case.

Can you tell me :
what type of connection you have
what type of modem
do you have any firewalls/AV etc running
in what way is your net connection spazzy

geekxpert911

geekxpert911

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I'm not sure how the internet could possibly cause a shutdown. The data traffic (sending/receiving packets) while playing an online game is almost no load on hardware - and since when does data traffic cause shutdowns in computers?

The high game traffic is probably the cause of hardware stress (video + memory), which may be more related to the shutdowns than internet activity.

Edited by geekxpert911, 31 May 2005 - 06:40 PM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Yes I realise that, but if he's online (or has a permanent internet connection) when it happens, it's possible to deliberately shut down someone's system remotely.

locoh0bo

locoh0bo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
i am using the onboard LAN card, i have DSL from earthlink and spazzy like...
I can see what others are doing in the game but i can not interact with the world. I can not do it for 3 minutes and then the server kicks me. then i can log back on after a while. i noticed this happened in ET to where i coudl see where others were running and they could shoot me but i could not move or shoot. I am behind a gateway and i do not runa firwall and i have checked with adawar and trendmicro for spyware and viruses

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Basically, I would normally assume this is a hardware fault of some kind but you are certain the systems not overheating, you've tried 2 different video cards, it doesn't sound like a memory or drive issue as they rarely shut a system off like this & it appears to be related to your internet use. So unless it is the PSU, then it may be worth investigating the software as a cause of the problem.
By software, I mean either a virus/malware or someone remotely affecting your machine.

Have you done a hijack this log at all?

Advertisements

locoh0bo

locoh0bo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
This is what hijack this gives me in my log...
-----------------------------------------------------
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 10:57:08 PM, on 5/31/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\iRiver\iHP100\iHPDetect.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb05.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_01\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files\Ventrilo\Ventrilo.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Sean\Desktop\HijackThis.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iHP-100] C:\Program Files\iRiver\iHP100\iHPDetect.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPDJ Taskbar Utility] C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb05.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_01\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [FreeRAM XP] "C:\Documents and Settings\Sean\Desktop\FreeRAM XP Pro 1.40.exe" -win
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_01\bin\npjpi150_01.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_01\bin\npjpi150_01.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai...all/xscan53.cab
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2sgag.exe
O23 - Service: Sandra Data Service (SandraDataSrv) - SiSoftware - C:\Program Files\SiSoftware\SiSoftware Sandra Lite 2005\RpcDataSrv.exe
O23 - Service: Sandra Service (SandraTheSrv) - SiSoftware - C:\Program Files\SiSoftware\SiSoftware Sandra Lite 2005\RpcSandraSrv.exe

locoh0bo

locoh0bo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
bump
know anything i can do?

locoh0bo

locoh0bo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I actually just thought of something i could try. I noticed that when thedishwasher was turned on the lights dimmed and my computer turned off, and when the washer turned to a different setting my comp turned off (i also remeber this happening two other times but thought it was a coincedence). So i will try using a UPS ... though where i will get teh money for one i do not know...

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
You could be on to something there. If you don't have a UPS then theres one more thing you could try...

Don't know what country you live in & how different your house wiring is likely to be but in England, most houses have at least 2 ring mains for the socket outlets (upstairs & downstairs). Then seperate ones for cooker, shower, heating etc. If this applies to your house as well, then you could try either moving the computer etc to another floor, running an extension lead/gang way from another floor to the computer or just try running the system while everything else in the house is not in use.

Normally though, the light fittings will be on a seperate circuit again so shouldn't affect the sockets. But if yours are dimming occasionally, this would suggest a dip in the main power supply to the house. You could try using a spike & surge protected gang-way instead. This will at least be cheaper than a UPS.

locoh0bo

locoh0bo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
If this is the case, then why does it typically happen while playing the game? when a computer turns on, doesn't it pull the same amount of current as it does when playing a game? if so i dont think this is the case, if not then i did not know that.