Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer shutdowns

• Please log in to reply

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Thats more or less true. The system may use slightly more power if you are using hardware that you don't use offline, such as the NIC card but its negligible. The only other possibility for a hardware fault, and this is a remote possibilty, some other external hardware that is internet related, such as the modem for example, is causing some sort of problem.

Another thing to try (your hijack log looked OK BTW), is try disabling some of the software you have running, such as Ventrilo and Sisoft sandra and freeRAM for example.
Also try disabling this (taken from hijack log):
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai...all/xscan53.cab

You can get rid of it using hijack this, and if it doesn't help or you need it, just select 'view backups' in hijack & restore the registry entry.

Advertisements

astrophysicist

astrophysicist

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
loco,

I too had the same problem with WoW running on my laptop. I never had computer shut downs before installing WoW. I found that I could play for about 20-30 minutes before it would just shut down. In my case, I'm pretty sure my computer was overheating. If I ever wanted to play, I would have to have my laptop setup so that it was halfway hanging off of my desk (the PSU/fan portion hanging over) and I would have to have a floor fan pointed underneath my laptop so that air was flowing away. This got to be a pain and since then I have cancelled my WoW account but the problem persists. I can be searching online and the computer will shut down(ironically when I was reading your post my computer shut down), or I can be playing an old windows 95 game (Lords of the Realm 2, has nothing to do with the internet) and it will shut down.

It is really starting to piss me off and I can't afford to buy a new laptop/computer yet...also I have a bunch of work material on this computer :tazz:. It's a toshiba running xp home.

chris

locoh0bo

locoh0bo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I noticed three more times today the appliance turning on and then lights dim and computer off. all of them were while playing the game... i shuold test if it works while im not playing the game. ill have to go out and find a UPS... thanks for the guidence