Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Guild Wars- hardwear help

• Please log in to reply

Rocketman1Dave

Rocketman1Dave

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
I have the game guild wars and have gotten a new pc since i got the game, dell p4 2.8 800 FSB, 80G HD, 256 Mb DDR2 PC2-3200, although i just got 1 GB DDR2 PC2-3200 dule channel ram(awaiting its arival) although i am also looking for a graphicsa card for my computer, i have a 300watt power supply and a 16x PCIe interface. i know nothing about video cards and have no idea where to look, http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814150095
is one card i have found but am not sure i have been told DDR3 is better, if somone could point me in the right direction or narrow down the field for me it would be greatly apresheated. i am looking for a card somewhere around 200 although price is flexable.
Thanks

Advertisements

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
that card would certainly serve you well. you mentioned DDR3. that increases memory speed on the card. the other important spec on video cards is the core clock speed, how fast the engine on the card is working.
take a look at the 6600GT series- my search on newegg for PCIE 6600GT cards yeilded 18 results, ranging in price from $160-212. all have at least a 500MHz core clock speed, and they all run 128MB of DDR3, memory speed 1000MHz.
the substantial increases in those speeds makes up for the reduced amount of memory.
This card falls right in the middle of the price range at newegg, and has a sale going at the moment. so its an option to consider.

I must point out that your power supply is going to be an issue for you running any higher end graphic card. 300 watts is not real high power, and most higher end cards require at least a 350 watt good quality psu.
antec true series, thermaltake, and enermax are good quality psu suppliers.

Rocketman1Dave

Rocketman1Dave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
How about this Card, how does it compare to other cards out there.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814123148

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
I dont know how good that card is. check out some reviews on it. tomshardwareguide.com is a good source for reviews, and they do some thorough testing.
I listed the 6600gt since it gets good reviews, and many people recommend it.
personally I have the ATI radeon X850XT, which is a great card, but much higher than your price range.