Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New GPU or CPU? HELP!

• Please log in to reply

Peptobismol165

Peptobismol165

• PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Ok, sit down and grab a cup of coffee, this may take a while.

HELLO!
Ok, I'm 15. Take a second and remember those good-ol' days. Now I want you to remember how hard it was to earn money at that age! Nobody wants to hire a 15 year old! So I'm busy mowing lawns for $10 a piece. Now I love computer, so you can imagine were all my money goes and all of you guys/gals know how expensive computer parts are! Now that you feel my pain, so here comes the question!

I have $200 (WOW! thats a lot of lawns!) I want a new GPU. I want an NVIDIA GTX 560ti
(http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814130610)

That would be a HUGE upgrade from my current GPU (NVIDIA GTS 250 512 mb) and not only would I have the 560ti, but I would SLI it with my GTS 250!!! Imagine the graphics performance!

Now not its not everyday I run into that amount of money! As I was browsing I found out I could get a quad-core Intel Core i7 @ 2.93 Ghz!!! Right now I have a Core i3 @ 2.93 Ghz.

I can only have 1 or the other. Both would drastically improve my performance, but I'm looking for the one that will help me the most. I use my computer for everything! Blu-ray movies, games, music, internet, EVERYTHING!
Now like I said before, I won't be able to get them both for a VERY VERY long time, so which one is best for my money and will keep my computer on the up-and-up for a long time.

Thanks guys/gals!

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.

That would be a HUGE upgrade from my current GPU (NVIDIA GTS 250 512 mb) and not only would I have the 560ti, but I would SLI it with my GTS 250!!! Imagine the graphics performance!

As far as I am aware, that will not work.

"for Nvidia GPUs they must be the SAME GPU aka 2x 560TI 2x 560 2x 570 2x 580 so on and so on"
http://www.twcenter....ad.php?t=454132

Even using the GTS for PhysX would probable be worse than allowing the GTX to do it.

Peptobismol165

Peptobismol165

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Nope, I looked that up. YOu can do it!

http://www.slizone.c.../sli_physx.html
(NEW! Multi-card)
(3rd one)

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
First, before you upgrade ANYTHING, you MUST insure your power supply will support it. If not, a new PSU must be your first purchase.

Second, generally speaking, when upgrading for performance, increasing RAM typically provides the best bang for your money. So if you are not already running with at least 3Gb (for triple channel motherboards) or 4Gb (for dual channel boards) (6Gb and 8Gb respectively for 64-bit Windows is preferred), then that is where you should put your money.

Then, I would go for a new graphics card. Then a new CPU.

Also note that new hardware adds to the demands of your case cooling. So keep an eye on that too.

Peptobismol165

Peptobismol165

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Thank you so much! (I have 4 Gb of DDR3 RAM)

I'd like to say thank you to all Geekstogo members! You've been helping me from the beginning with my PC. You guys have never steered me wrong! Thanks!

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
4Gb is enough for most users, though eventually moving up to 8Gb will help improve performance more - assuming a 64-bit OS.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Nope, I looked that up. YOu can do it!

If you are saying nope to SLI with those cards, that is not correct.

"You'll also need a pair of identical graphic cards. Such as two 9800GTX or 2 GTX 285 cards. You cannot mix a GTX 285 with a GTX 260. The cards must have the same device ID however they can be running at different clock speeds.

Full article, http://forums.nvidia...howtopic=150597

You could dedicated the GTS for PhysX but you may get worse performance.

I could be wrong, but this is my understanding. If the GTX on it"s own is a lot more capable than the GTS by forcing the lesser card to perform PhysX you would get lower performance.