Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

r iPossible to Share Printers if one computes on a work domain?

• Please log in to reply

Reid Thaler

Reid Thaler

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I thought I'd set up a home network since my wife and I share a printer by swapping the USB cable back and forth between out computers--annoying and inconvenient, especially since I built my computer and I figured sharing via a network would be easier.

When I tried to set up a network, I found that my wife's laptop, which is from her job, is on a domain and it looks like I couldn't created a network. Is this true?

What are the other options? Is there a low tech option like a USB printer cable which could connect to both of our computers?

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Reid

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
I don't about her work notebook and the domain issue, that is something she/you need to take up with her IT people.

But for your home network, there's nothing nicer than having the printer networked. The printer does not have to be tethered to any computer. No computer has to be up and running for the other computers to print to it. No computer has to be set to share anything. The printer can be centrally located, off of someone's desk. And everyone can print to it at the same time and the print server will sort the jobs out.

Of course, you must have a network first, and for that, you typically need a router. Then you need a network ready printer. It will connect to your network, just like your computers do. If your printer is not already network ready, you will need a separate print server that connects to the router, then the printer(s) connects to the server. Some printers have them built in, some routers have them built in. If no print server, you can buy stand-alone print servers, such as one of these.

Then on each computer, you will add a new printer, following the prompts to add a networked printer.

Reid Thaler

Reid Thaler

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the good idea. I used ordered a print server on ebay.

Reid

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Well, ordering used parts on eBay scares me, but hopefully all will go well. Good luck.