Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Black Screen with Blinking Cursor on the top left

• Please log in to reply

lavondaljt

lavondaljt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
ok, i did what you said and i got this error message:

INS file txtsetup.sif is corrupt or missing status 32768
setup cannot continue, press any key to continue

At the C:\Windows> prompt, type the following commands pressing Enter after each one. Note: Watch the spaces.
D:
cd ExtraFiles
copy userinit.exe c:\windows\system32
exit

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK I think I know the problem. Since you are now using a genuine XP disk the steps are a little different.

At the C:\Windows> prompt, type the following commands pressing Enter after each one. Note: Watch the spaces.
D:
cd I396
copy userinit.exe c:\windows\system32
exit

lavondaljt

lavondaljt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
ok, this is weird......it goes thru the "setting up windows" it reads the files, showing them across the bottom then it get to the part where it ask if I want to repair windows and I key in the number "1"

then it ask me for a password which I just enter

then the c:\ prompt comes up

I type d:

and I get D:\

at the D:\ i type "cd 1396" hit "enter"

now it says "there is no floppy disk or cd in the drive"

I know the cdrom is working or it would not have made a noise or shown the files across the bottom, but it just stops....no yellow flashing light on the cdrom....no noise...no nothing.....(yea, i'm from texas and my slang is startin to come out).

What else can I do....you have been so patient with me and have helped me so much you dont know how much i appreciate all it.....There has to be a "happy ending" here. I cant afford to lose any of my work....

Please let me know what I can do next.....Thanks again
Lavonda

I'm completely lost....I dont know what else to do.....

skifxr

skifxr

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Type map and hit enter in the recovery console and see what letter the CD drive is.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Type map and hit enter in the recovery console and see what letter the CD drive is.

That is what I would suggest also but you beat me to it skifxr. :)

lavondaljt

lavondaljt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
I'm sorry, but I dont understand.....where do I type "map"? I'm not sure where I need to type it....Maybe just a little more "step by step"....Sorry.....

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
At the C:\ prompt in the recovery console.

lavondaljt

lavondaljt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
ok, i figured it out.....i typed "map" and it says "E" for cdrom....so instead of using the letter "D" I use "E" right?......

I'm going to try it and see.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep you are correct. :)

lavondaljt

lavondaljt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
ok the "E" worked, so I typed this

E:\cd 1396

then got this..

"the system cannot find the file or directory"

OK guys, put your thinking caps back on, here we go again.

Let me know what you come up with.

Thanks so much for spending all this time helping me....

Lavonda

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Does the XP cd you are using say anything about a SP being included? Example SP1,2 or 3?
On the cd you made earlier check it to see if the I386 folder is on it. If so we can get the file from it.

lavondaljt

lavondaljt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
On the disk that we created, there is a file 1396. As for the XP disk I know that there is a SP on it but not sure what it is. I'm afraid if I take it out, it's gonna mess things up. Will it? :)

Does the XP cd you are using say anything about a SP being included? Example SP1,2 or 3?
On the cd you made earlier check it to see if the I386 folder is on it. If so we can get the file from it.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Run the recovery console and get to the point where you see c: windows and the flashing prompt. At the prompt type the following: CHKDSK /R and press Enter. Please note the space before /R. You can type it in small or capital letters, no difference. Now the computer will start running the command. Do not interfere until finished, even if it takes a long time (say up to 2 hours), not even if the process seems to reverse to a point which was formerly scanned.

When finished you will be instructed to type EXIT and press Enter. Your computer should boot now. If it doesn't, then there is a possibility that the hard disk is defective, but we can try few other things before declaring it dead.

lavondaljt

lavondaljt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
ok, now I'm lost....do you want me to forget about the SP and the 1396 file? You want me to start over with the recovery disk with the SP on it, and at the c:windows prompt enter CHKDSK /R

Do nothing about the previous post..just start over. :)

oh yea, the cursor is not blinking, i dont know if that makes a difference.

Let me know.

Thanks
Lavonda

Run the recovery console and get to the point where you see c: windows and the flashing prompt. At the prompt type the following: CHKDSK /R and press Enter. Please note the space before /R. You can type it in small or capital letters, no difference. Now the computer will start running the command. Do not interfere until finished, even if it takes a long time (say up to 2 hours), not even if the process seems to reverse to a point which was formerly scanned.

When finished you will be instructed to type EXIT and press Enter. Your computer should boot now. If it doesn't, then there is a possibility that the hard disk is defective, but we can try few other things before declaring it dead.

Edited by lavondaljt, 27 August 2011 - 12:54 PM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Yes. Please run chkdsk /r. This command is the most versatile and useful of all windows repair commands. This is the command to start with.