Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems starting newly built computer

• Please log in to reply

Fruitinator

Fruitinator

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hello, I recently built a computer with a build and lots of great advice from people on geeks to go. After I built the computer and booted it up, nothing would show up on the monitor. I had everything properly connected. When you first build a computer and turn it on for the first time, the bios comes up. When I booted my computer for the first time, nothing showed up on the monitor. I know that the monitor works because I am using it now on a different computer. I tried DVI cable inserts and VGA, neither worked. I inserted the graphics card driver and the computer started to make some kind of noise but then stopped after a few seconds. Also did this with windows 7 and the mobo drivers, both with no outcome. I can link my system specs for people to see if it is necessary. Have no idea of the problem, hope someone can help!

Advertisements

Lapatskiy

Lapatskiy

• Pip
  • 2 posts
It would be nice if you put all the Specs of your rig, does your cpu graphics supported? and what kind of board you have?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
I agree - specs would be good.

When you first build a computer and turn it on for the first time, the bios comes up.

Ummm, no. The BIOS Setup Menu should not come up unless signaled to come up.

When I booted my computer for the first time, nothing showed up on the monitor.

A common mistake by beginning builders and forgetful experts alike is to have extra standoffs under the motherboard, shorting the board out. Cases are designed to support 1000s of motherboards - motherboards of different shapes and sizes. The ATX Form Factor Standards only states where standoffs and motherboard mounting hole can be, it does not define where they will be. This means it is common for cases to have many more standoff holes than the motherboard. So, you need to pull the board and verify you only have a standoff where there is a corresponding motherboard mounting hole. If you find extra standoffs, then cross fingers no permanent damage has occurred.

Also a common mistake is not ensuring all the power connections have been properly attached to the motherboard, or the graphics cards. So double check that. And of course, the PSU much have adequate power to meet the demands.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi, sorry to hear you are having problems. Here is the link to your actual build topic,
http://www.geekstogo...er/page__st__60

This is what you said before moving hear,

*********************************************************************************************************

#75 Posted Image Fruitinator Posted Image

• Posted Image
  • Posted ImagePosted Image
  • Posted Image
  • Posted Image
  • Group: Member
Posted Yesterday, 04:27 PM

I built the computer and got a disk drive (optical drive) to install all the drivers and windows 7. I hooked up all the power and stuff and it started out great. Real quiet and the LED Lights are really cool. My biggest problem is that nothing showed up on my monitor when I booted it up. Called my cousin who helped me build it and he said to install the graphics card drivers or Motherboard drivers to see if that helped, it did not. Was really siked to get my computer running today but looks like I will need to fix something. I made sure that everything was running fine, and it was. I know my monitor(s) work because I am using them now on another computer, I checked to see if the graphics cards was properly installed, I checked a lot of stuff! I have no idea why nothing shows up on the monitor but I hope you guys can help me. I think I will make a entire new thread as this one is getting quite large. I will post the link to it.

*************************************************************************************************************

After you built the computer, what exactly did you do? Please try to give a step by step list of what you did.

Fruitinator

Fruitinator

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
My specs are:

Case- http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811156191

HDD- http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822136319

Motherboard- http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813157262

Video Card_ http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814130571

Power Supply- http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817371044

Processor- http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819103808

OS- http://www.newegg.co...N82E16832116983

RAM-http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231253

I also recently purchases an optical drive.

After I built the computer, it was 1 or 2 days before I actually had everything to get it running. I plugged in the power cable, plugged in the monitor, plugged in the mouse and keyboard and speakers, turned on the power supply switch, turned on the motherboard and then pushed the on button. It started up immedietly and was real smooth and quiet. All the LEDs were on and the motherboard was on (I could see because it had lights on it saying 00). After waiting a little bit, nothing showed up on the monitor. At this point, I was confused with what was wrong. The monitor had power but nothing showed up on the screen. I made sure that the DVI cable was plugged in properly and when that didnt work, I tried the VGA cable instead. Neither worked. I did try to run the graphics card and motherboard drivers but without an outcome. I talked to the computer guy at our school and he said that my computer may not be reading my RAM. So he told me to just take it out and put it back in. I wonder if this would fix the problem?

I am not able to tell because I returned my friends external drive today and I do not know how to install mine (my internal drive). The power supply is 650 watts-more that enough to run everything. I am sure that the motherboard is not shorted out and that it is getting power because there were lights that showed up on the motherboard when the computer started up.

Another question I have is should my optical drive come with a cable of some kind? I watched videos on how to install optical drives and all the people had cables that came with their drives. It may have been a mistake on newegg, i dont know.

Edited by Fruitinator, 26 August 2011 - 09:18 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.

I returned my friends external drive today and I do not know how to install mine (my internal drive).

When you are talking about this drive is it the,

DVD drive, where you place disks to read from or burn Data?

OR

your Western Digital internal HDD, where you OS and programs will be installed?

ADDED.

It may only be my browser, but your links for you hardware do not work.

Edited by iammykyl, 27 August 2011 - 12:02 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.

Sorry about the above reply. Looking at your post again, I see you did mean your internal HDD.

Your Mobo should have come with a bunch of cable including 2 or more SATA ones. sometimes they come with straight connectors at each end, (see guide) sometimes they come with one straight end and one angled end. I normally fit the straight end into the HDD and the angled end into the SATA socket on the Mobo.

http://www.buildeasy..._hard_drive.htm

recheck that you have all your cables connected securely including the 12v one to the motherboard.

First boot. Read this how to as well as your Mobo Manual.

http://www.buildacom...first-boot.html

Fruitinator

Fruitinator

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
No no I have my internal HDD installed, I am talking about the DVD drive for putting disks in such as windows 7.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
OK.

The DVD burner, (Optical Drive) is installed from the front of the case usuall6 in the top bay. the plastic blank has to be removed first.

Look through your case manual and this article.

http://compreviews.a...ss/DIYCDDVD.htm

Post back when completed or more questions.

Fruitinator

Fruitinator

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Okay I succesfully installed the DVD drive, but let's get back to my original topic. I checked the motherboard to make sure no standoffs were under it, none were. I took ram out and put it back in to make sure computer was reading it. still nothing is showing up on my monitor. We took plenty of static precautions and everything is running. My motherboard does not have a built in graphics processor so it may be a problem with the graphics card. When i boot the computer up, everything turns on and runs, all the fans, the graphics fan, heatsink, etc. Hope you guys have some solutions. I am thinking of taking it to my schools computer guy as he is really tech-savy.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi, Check please. Is this the RAM you have installed,

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820231417

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Time to do a final check.

TIM should have been used between the CPU and heatsink.

Mobo should have the same number of standoffs to match the screw holes in the Mobo.

RAM should be installed in the white slots, the locking tabs at each end of the ram should be fully closed.

Video card should be in the blue slot number 2 (closest to the CPU) make sure the locking tab at the right side of the card clicks into place.

HDD should be connected to SATA port 1.

DVD, connect to SATA port 3.

Check cabling.

CPU fan should be connected to the 4 pin CPU header.

Mobo should have 2 connection from the PSU, 1 x 20-4 pin connector on the right side of the board. 1 x 8 pin 12v connector top of board slightly to the left.

Video card, 1 PCI-E connector.

Check other connections.

Connect your screen and a ps2 keyboard.

Switch the PSU on. Use the power button on the tower to to start the computer.

The lights on the keyboard should blink, the fans should start, you should get a message on the screen.

If the computer does not boot up or stops, look at the Dr debug lights on the Mobo and write down the code that is displayed.

Fruitinator

Fruitinator

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
This is the RAM that I currently have in my computer: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820231253

If that link does not work, search this in Newegg: N82E16820231253
I have 2 of these totalling 8 GB.

I will write down that check list above that you have typed. I am not sure what TIM is. If i had to take a guess I would say the thermal paste used when installing the cpu.

I know that the motherboard matched up with the number of standoffs and none were left under it. The cpu fan runs so i dont think i have a problem with that. I know that the RAM was first installed in the 2 slots closest slots (blue and white) then I put the rest of my ram in (all 8 gigs), then we took out 2 gigs and put it only in the blue slots.

The video card fan is running when I turn the computer on (not sure if the actual graphics processor is).

I will check today as much as I can but I do not know where or what everything is. I will get help from my cousin as soon as he will help.

Edited by Fruitinator, 28 August 2011 - 02:38 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

I am not sure what TIM is. If i had to take a guess I would say the thermal paste used when installing the CPU

Correct.

RAM was first installed in the 2 slots closest slots (blue and white)

Not correct. If you are using 2 sticks they should be installed in the white slots first.
If you have not marked the RAM sticks and haver been swapping them around, they may no longer be matched as pairs as they came in the packaging.

BEFORE running the test. Please remove all the ram, starting from the outside furthest away from the CPU. with a felt tipped pen, mark the sticks AS YOU REMOVE THEM, # 4, # 3, # 2, # 1.

Then put # 1 stick in the white slot closest to the CPU, put # 2 stick in the second white slot. Keep sticks 3 & 4 safe in there packaging or an anti static bag.
If we have to test the ram, by numbering them we will know which has been tested and in which slot.

(not sure if the actual graphics processor is).

This is hard to determine until most other tests have been carried out OR it can be tried in another computer.
Make sure it is installed in the first blue slot closest to the CPU and that the little locking tab has clicked into place.

but I do not know where or what everything is.

There is a diagram at the beginning the user manual with a numbered list so you can see where everything is.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

Not correct. If you are using 2 sticks they should be installed in the white slots first.

Note there is no standard for color coding RAM slots. So for others reading, check the manual for your specific motherboard - it will tell you which slots to use first.