Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Crashing

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

CPU have a heat safety that terminates all processes when reaching a specific temperature?

Most modern CPU's within the last 10 years have a thermal shutdown protection.

Where can I find the temperatures for normal operations?

Normal operating temps would be between 50 to 60 degrees Celsius at idle.

The SpeedFan report doesn't identify where the temperatures are coming from?

We can try a couple of other programs to see if it reports where it exactly is.

Please download and run Hardware Monitor
Installation (setup version only)
HWMonitor is a hardware monitoring program that reads PC systems main health sensors : voltages, temperatures, fans speed.
The program handles the most common sensor chips, like ITE® IT87 series, most Winbond® ICs, and others. In addition, it can read modern CPUs on-die core thermal sensors, as well has hard drives temperature via S.M.A.R.T, and video card GPU temperature.

Motherboard Info:

Download SIW from HERE and get the Standalone English version
It will install itself and when finished

Then Click on SIW Icon to run program
On the left side click on the Motherboard directory and then on the right, copy and paste the information in your next reply
On the left side click on the Sensors directory and then on the right, copy and paste the information in your next reply

http://www.gtopala.c...w-download.html

Advertisements

PC Genie

PC Genie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
Attached are the reports as you advised. The HWMonitor report gives more specific information and identifies each component.

Attached Thumbnails

• SIW Motherboard Report 08-29-11.jpg
  • SIW Sensor Report 08-29-11.jpg
  • HW Monitor Report 08-29-11.png

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep as I thought the CPU itself is burning up with heat.
I would have to say either the fan is not turning like it should, the thermal paste has broken down or the ambient temp is causing the increase.
Does you system sit inside a desk with not much room around it?

PC Genie

PC Genie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
I set it between the side of my desk and a filing cabinet. However, currently for these SpeedFan tests, I have pulled it out in front of the cabinet with its side panel removed and the CPU still appears to be hot. Do you think that if I got some more heat trasfer paste for the CPU, it would solve the problem? The CPU fan is running, but I don't know if running fast enough. Are there any utilities that check the RPM of the fans?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you noticed all the programs are checking fan speed.
Is the cpu a retail version where the fan was already attached to it when brand new or was it a OEM version where you bought a fan separate and then had to attach it to the CPU?

PC Genie

PC Genie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

If you noticed all the programs are checking fan speed.

They say that the CPU has 3 fans; however, there is only one fan on top of the CPU. There are speeds provided for the fans, but where do I find the fans' design speed for comparison? Do you know of a manufacturer of computer chassis with lots of fans that I can purchase when I build my next computer?

Is the cpu a retail version where the fan was already attached to it when brand new or was it a OEM version where you bought a fan separate and then had to attach it to the CPU?

The fan came in the same box with the CPU, but they were in seperate plastic enclosures.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

The fan came in the same box with the CPU, but they were in seperate plastic enclosures.

That would mean it was a OEM CPU and Fan.
Did you put a pea size drop of Thermal Paste between the fan and the CPU before installing the fan?

PC Genie

PC Genie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Did you put a pea size drop of Thermal Paste between the fan and the CPU before installing the fan?

Yes; however, I haven't checked its current physical condition and I probably won't until I purchase some more paste to replace it. If you recommend that I replace the CPU paste, please let me know.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thermal Paste very rarely wears out so I would say it is a fan issue.

PC Genie

PC Genie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
I seem to remember that you asked me if I had recently added any hardware to my computer and I forgot to mention that I did add a second hard drive as my primary drive. Its a solid state hard drive (SSD). I don't suppose that would add any more load to my circuits than a SATA hard drive and created more heat in my computer?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes on both accounts but you could try just disconnecting the SSD and see if the crashes stop then.
If so then you may need to change your PSU out with a better one.

PC Genie

PC Genie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
Do you have any experience with fluid cooling systems for computers? I think the cooling system circulates water to custom heatsinks for certain components. Are these cooling systems popular and effective?

Edited by PC Genie, 06 September 2011 - 06:07 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I think the cooling system circulates water to custom heatsinks for certain components.

Correct and mostly for the CPU to keep it even cooler then conventional fans and heatsinks.

Are these cooling systems popular and effective?

More popular with gamers but also with people who do high intensive video editing.
They do work very well but personally I have had no experience with them other then discussing them with users who have used them.

PC Genie

PC Genie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
Have there been any complaints about these fluid cooling systems leaking in the computer and damaging any electical components or shorting out the system and/or doing serious damage? What brand of cooling system has the highest rating?

Also, I'm going to get another PSU and I was wondering if I should just get the highest wattage rating to be sure that I always have enough power?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Leaks were a problem a few years back when liquid cooling was first introduced but now most of these units are self contained and leaking is no longer a issue.

Buying a PSU that is way to much for your system is a waste of money.
The first issue is to determine what the main use of the system is for. Gaming, office or internet.
Then determining the components in the system.
Hard drive, Memory, CPU, Optical and video card or cards.

Then you can determine the PSU wattage you need for present and any future upgrades. I myself never advise on anything less then a 500 watt and even then you want to invest in a good name brand PSU with a 80 plus rating. Cheating on a good PSU can not only cause unstable voltages but potentially a fire hazard and\or loss of internal components from shorting out.