Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CHKDSK on reboot not working

• Please log in to reply

ChainsawPolice

ChainsawPolice

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Alright, so I need to do a System Restore on my Windows 7 netbook. However, Windows tells me I need to run a chkdsk to fix some errors and continue with System Restore.
I tried running chkdsk /f /r, and it told me that it'll schedule a chkdsk on the next boot.

But it isn't doing that.
It doesn't bring up any chkdsk screen. It just boots to a login screen like normal.

I've explored every other avenue to try and fix the reason I'm performing a System Restore in the first place, and I'm sure a Restore is the only option.

I've got a Wubi install of Ubuntu 11.04 working fine. However, last time I tried doing anything to /host (which to my knowledge translates to the root of C:\ in Windows), a constant bluescreen confronted me on boot and I had to reinstall.
So I'm pretty sure not much can be done from the Wubi install of 11.04.

Reinstalling on this netbook isn't an option for me, though.
Booting from USB or disc isn't possible either (BIOS has been locked down).

Can anybody guide me on how to either:
  • Run a chkdsk on reboot,
  • Force a System Restore without performing a chkdsk,
  • Run something similar to chkdsk from a Wubi install of Ubuntu 11.04.

I need help desperately. Thank you in advance.

Edited by ChainsawPolice, 26 August 2011 - 06:32 PM.

Advertisements

ChainsawPolice

ChainsawPolice

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Bump.
This is extremely urgent. All of my personal documents and assignments are on here. I cannot afford to lose them

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

This is extremely urgent. All of my personal documents and assignments are on here. I cannot afford to lose them

That should not be a problem because you have a current backup all these important docs and assignments you can't afford to lose, right? :)

You should be able to boot to a Windows installation disk and run Chkdsk from the Recovery Console. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058

Alternatively, you can install your HD into an enclosure, or into a second computer as a secondary drive (NOT the boot drive) and copy off your data.

Also, note that /r includes /f so you only need the /r.

ChainsawPolice

ChainsawPolice

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

You should be able to boot to a Windows installation disk and run Chkdsk from the Recovery Console. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058

Booting from USB or disc isn't possible either (BIOS has been locked down).

Alternatively, you can install your HD into an enclosure, or into a second computer as a secondary drive (NOT the boot drive) and copy off your data.

Ahh,my mate an old SATA bridge lying around! I should be able to run chkdsk on it when it's in the enclosure, right?
I still wanna keep all my old data as intact as possible, as I use this at school for classwork, as well as personal documents and photos.

Thanks for the response Digerati.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you don't have any backup of your data then you should be able to use a Linux Live cd to access the drive and backup your data.

Use Puppy Linux Live CD to Recover Your Data:

===================
***Required Hardware***
CD Burner (CDRW) Drive,
Blank CD,
Extra Storage Device (USB Flash Drive, External Hard Drive)

===================

1. Save these files to your Desktop/Burn Your Live CD:
  • Download Latest Puppy Linux ISO (i.e.: lupu-520.iso)
    Download BurnCDCC ISO Burning Software

• Open BurnCDCC with Windows Explorer
  • Extract All files to a location you can remember
  • Double Click Posted Image BurnCDCC
  • Click Browse Posted Image and navigate to the Puppy Linux ISO file you just downloaded
  • Open/Double Click that file
    IMPORTANT: Adjust the speed bar to CD: 4x DVD: 1x
  • Click Start Posted Image
  • Your CD Burner Tray will open automatically
  • Insert a blank CD and close the tray
  • Click OK
Puppy Linux Live CD will now be created
2. Set your boot priority in the BIOS to CD-ROM first, Hard Drive Second
  • Start the computer/press the power button
  • Immediately start tapping the appropriate key to enter the BIOS, aka "Setup"
    (Usually shown during the "Dell" screen, or "Gateway" Screen)
  • Once in the BIOS, under Advanced BIOS Options change boot priority to:
    CD-ROM 1st, Hard Drive 2nd
  • Open your ROM drive and insert the disk
  • Press F10 to save and exit
  • Agree with "Y" to continue
  • Your computer will restart and boot from the Puppy Linux Live CD

Posted Image

3. Recover Your Data
  • Once Puppy Linux has loaded, it is actually running in your computer's Memory (RAM). You will see a fully functioning Graphical User Interface similar to what you normally call "your computer". Internet access may or may not be available depending on your machine, so it is recommended you print these instructions before beginning. Also, double clicking is not needed in Puppy. To expand, or open folders/icons, just click once. Puppy is very light on resources, so you will quickly notice it is much speedier than you are used to. This is normal. Ready? Let's get started.

3a. Mount Drives
  • Click the Mount Icon located at the top left of your desktop. Posted Image
  • A Window will open. By default, the "drive" tab will be forward/highlighted. Click on Mount for your hard drive.
  • Assuming you only have one hard drive and/or partition, there may be only one selection to mount.
  • USB Flash Drives usually automatically mount upon boot, but click the "usbdrv" tab and make sure it is mounted.
  • If using an external hard drive for the data recovery, do this under the "drive" tab. Mount it now.
3b. Transfer Files.
  • At the bottom left of your desktop a list of all hard drives/partitions, USB Drives, and Optical Drives are listed with a familiar looking hard drive icon.
  • Open your old hard drive i.e. sda1
  • Next, open your USB Flash Drive or External Drive. i.e. sdc or sdb1
  • If you open the wrong drive, simply X out at the top right corner of the window that opens. (Just like in Windows)
  • From your old hard drive, drag and drop whatever files/folders you wish to transfer to your USB Drive's Window.
For The Novice: The common path to your pictures, music, video, and documents folders is: Documents and Settings >> All Users (or each idividual name of each user. CHECK All Names!) >> Documents >> You will now see My Music, My Pictures, and My Videos.

Remember to only click once! No double clicking! Once you drag and drop your first folder, you will notice a small menu will appear giving you the option to move or copy. Choose COPY each time you drag and drop.

YOU ARE DONE!!! Simply click Menu >> Mouse Over Shutdown >> Reboot/Turn Off Computer. Be sure to plug your USB Drive into another working windows machine to verify all data is there and transferred without corruption. Congratulations!

Posted Image

Posted Image

If you're doing this to recovery from a virus or malware infection, (or even if you're not), DO NOT copy executable files (.exe, .scr. etc...) if any of these files are infected you could be copying the corruption over to any new device/computer. just copy documents, pictures, music, or videos.

ChainsawPolice

ChainsawPolice

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Wow, that made me feel like I was back in kindergarten.
  • I have total access to all my data. Nothing is lost yet, and Windows still boots,
  • Despite my use of Wubi, I know how to use Linux and LiveCDs, including for backup purposes,
  • Linux jargon and techniques are no problem to me, so explaining it all was a waste of energy,
  • The Windows directory structure is about as simple as breathing, so I know how to navigate to C:\Users\myusername,
  • I know how to burn a [bleep] ISO.
Also, my system is not under attack from viruses or malware of any kind.
The problem with my machine is I have no USB or onboard mouse drivers (I really shoulda stated this earlier, my bad :\ ).

I mean, there's only so much I can do with the keyboard.

I've tried to install the drivers using official packages from the manufacturer's website, but I cannot run them - they keep spewing errors in my face about group policy, which I know how to fix, but cannot do so.

I'm able to do open and perform a system restore, but need to run a chkdsk in order to perform the restore. My problem is that I cannot run chkdsk at startup to fix errors on the C drive, which means System Restore cannot run.

I've done registry tricks, set it to schedule a disk check on boot, and everything in between.

I guess my question now is this: Does anybody know of any free tools that I can use to find and fix errors on the main harddrive that are similar to chkdsk?

Edit
*giggle* Sorry, but PuppyLinux...? Really?

Edited by ChainsawPolice, 28 August 2011 - 12:04 AM.