Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Fresh Computer build wont turn on

• Please log in to reply

cgarretson

cgarretson

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
specs: TX 750 Corsair PSU, Creative X-Fi Titanium sound card, 1GB Zotac GTX 550 Ti AMP! video card, 2 TB seagate HDD, LG blu-ray writer, standard 24x dvd writer, intel core i7 LGA 1155, Biostar TZ68A+ motherboard. *if any other information is required just ask*

Just got the parts today, assembled, double checked, flip the power, and all the fans spin(5) and the front LED fan lights come on, only to spin for 5 revolutions only to just turn off and power down. Whats the deal?

Any help at all would be useful, is my motherboard shot, or wrong PSU watt-age, is the GPU too powerful, or what? I unplugged all wires except the Motherboard power supply, and nothing happened. *sigh*

Edited by cgarretson, 26 August 2011 - 08:27 PM.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi cgarretson , :)

If you have built before, this might seem a bit simplistic.

Always turn of the power supply when working on the computer and make sure to take anti static precaution's.

Looking at your specs, the power supply is good, has 62amps on the 12v rail, so can handle your system easily.

We should check first for a short on the Mobo.

Your case may have come with standoffs pre installed on the Mobo mounting plate. There can sometimes be too many or some in the wrong place

Remove all add on cards.

Remove all connection to the Mobo.

You need now to unscrew the Mobo and carefully lift it out to check underneath to make sure you ONLY have the same number of standoffs on the mounting plate matching EXACTLY the screw holes in the Mobo.

Please post back.

cgarretson

cgarretson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
i did as followed, i was missing one of the mounting screws on the lower middle, should i go ahead and reattach all of the connections now and attempt to fire it up?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Whilst iammyky is away I suggest the following;
First remove the MB and do a bare-bones set-up on a piece of cardboard (make sure it is larger than the MB) only connect the PSU, the GFX card, 1 stick of Ram and the keyboard.
You will then need to short out the 2 power on pins on the MB header to get the PSU to activate, you can use a small flat bladed screwdriver or a paper clip bent into a U shape, this is perfectly safe if you do not touch anything else, the idea is to see if we can get a BIOS screen if you do you can then add one component at a time until you find the problem component, you must power down and remove the power cord from the wall before adding a component, second suggestion try a known working PSU, it is not unknown for new components to be bad, third suggestion try and loan an ordinary PCI graphics card (not pci-e) again to try and get a BIOS screen.
Other things worth checking include, if you used stand offs beneath the MB are they in the correct locations (only where there is a screw hole in the MB) otherwise the MB will short out, check for stray screws or bared wires for the same reason, make sure the jumper cap that can be used for clearing the CMOS is not missing or on the wrong pins.
Post back with the results.

EDIT: Also worth asking, did you apply the correct amount of TIM (thermal interface material) this tutorial courtesy of Digerati explains the importance for doing so http://www.geekstogo...rface-material/

Edited by phillpower2, 27 August 2011 - 08:23 AM.

cgarretson

cgarretson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
the TIM is fine, i applied it as stated, as "just a dab will do ya." question, which 2 pins do i short out on the PSU port?

and sadly i dont have any other parts that are compatible with this, as the only other computer i have is a laptop :\

Edited by cgarretson, 27 August 2011 - 08:52 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

question, which 2 pins do i short out on the PSU port?

This may help, http://www.kitchenta.../assemble17.php

You should also be able to find a picture of the header in the Mobo manual

Off to bed as it is two in the morning here.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
As iammykyl has returned I will now only observe unless asked for input.

, which 2 pins do i short out on the PSU port?

The 2 pins you short out are on the MB header where the power on button from the case connects to (pwrsw, hdd led etc).

Hi iammyky, just read your last post so I will stick around in case cgarretson has a question :)

cgarretson

cgarretson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
oh ok, so i put the U bend on the On/Off ones coming from the PSU correct?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

oh ok, so i put the U bend on the On/Off ones coming from the PSU correct?

No the PC case switch or is that what you meant.

cgarretson

cgarretson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
yeah my bad, coming from the PC case put it in those sockets or do u mean to put it on the MB pins? sorry this is my first computer build >.<

*edit* nvm i just realized how stupid that sounded

Edited by cgarretson, 27 August 2011 - 09:34 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
No worries my friend we are here to help, the pins you short out are on the MB itself and may look similar to those at this link http://www.google.co...9QEwAg&dur=4073
What you do is connect the 2 main power connections from the PSU to the MB, this may be a 20 or 24 pin connector + an 4 or 8 pin ATX connection for the CPU, also make sure that the CPU fan is connected to the MB header, this will be a small 3 or 4 pin connector.

cgarretson

cgarretson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
ok i have 2 power supplies on my MB ATXPWR1 = 24pin and ATXPWR2 = 8 pin, am i suppose to connect both of those to the PSU or only the main/24pin?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Connect both please, the 24 pin powers the MB and added components HDD, CD drive as examples and the 8 pin provides the power to the CPU (processor) again make sure that the CPU fan is also connected to the fan MB header or the CPU will overheat/fry.

cgarretson

cgarretson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
ok i got the fan plugged into port CPU_FAN1 however the cpu power supply plugs in where exactly? the only cords i have coming from the PSU that would match up are PCI-E labeled cables, is this right?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
I am off researching your MB and will post back here shortly via an edit of this post.

EDIT: Check the MB pictures @ http://www.newegg.co...tel Motherboard the power connections are clearly identifiable in picture number 3 on the top row.

Edited by phillpower2, 27 August 2011 - 10:27 AM.