Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Fresh Computer build wont turn on

• Please log in to reply

cgarretson

cgarretson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
i got where the location of the CPU power supply is on the MB but what cord(from the power supply) does it take?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Your PSU has two 4 pin CPU power connectors, they each have yellow and black coloured wires, the two of these must be inserted into the 8 pin slot side by side (2X4 pin = 1X8 pin) they will only go in one way so don`t force them, let us know how you get on.
Just a FYI the PSU is designed this way so that it is suitable for either a 4 pin or 8 pin ATX CPU socket.

cgarretson

cgarretson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
First of all I'd want to apologize for being a complete computer nub >.<

I was confusing the PCI-E cords which were 6+2 with the 4+4 ATX2 power cord. Right when i noticed what i did the cup fans powered up and the 2 LED's at the bottom stayed lit (normal) but i've yet to get the BIOS to come up on my screen via VGA cord or HDMI. So far so good, if i can get the BIOS to come up I'll be in business.

The monitor only says "No VGA/HDMI input" depending on what mode i have selected. Any ideas?

*edit* was trying to get a visual from MB and not GFX card, switched em and now i got the BIOS up and running. Thanx ya guys for helping me out with everything. And if someone can lock this thread that'd be great ^.^

Edited by cgarretson, 29 August 2011 - 10:17 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

First of all I'd want to apologise for being a complete computer nub

There is never any need to apologise for being a noob, we have all started at the beginning.

Great that you are up and away.

Remember to set the time and date in the BIOS.

Thanx ya guys for helping me out with everything.

You are more than welcome. If you have any more questions of need help, we are here.

AS far as I know, posts are not locked unless they happen to be a sticky.

We would appreciate a final word from you letting us know how the build performs as others might want to copy it.

cgarretson

cgarretson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Right so I have a new problem, when I run my Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit... the setup goes through to where it says "no driver installed or found compatible with this program." or something to that effect. so i click browse and it comes up with; computer, CD (D drive) where i put the disk, CD (E Drive) empty, and Bootx. any idea how i can get my SATA drive to pop-up so i can finish my installation?

*edit* where in the world can i find a seagate driver? its the only way that i know that i can install Windows 7 on it, cuz otherwise it wont recognize the sata drive -.-

Edited by cgarretson, 29 August 2011 - 07:05 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go into the bios and set the drive to IDE...

cgarretson

cgarretson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
so i said "F" the 2TB and i went to geek squad from Best Buy to verify my decision, i got a 500GB SSD for just the OS installation and boot up process. plugged n the drive and nothing happened, fans spun maybe 1/4 a revolution and stopped... as before. i checked my MB cords so i didnt have a repeat offender here, and started it back up. Windows loaded to where i got the the "windows loading flag" and it cut out. now it wont do anything over just spinning the fans 1/4 a revolution and going back to the 2TB doesnt help at all either. What the... did i just do to mess this up further? -.-

*edit* is my best bet just to tear it back down to the MB and start workin my way back again?

Edited by cgarretson, 31 August 2011 - 04:52 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
First thing I suggest is that you get the SSD drive checked by Best Buy as it may be bad, if they will exchange it the second thing I suggest is getting a smaller capacity SSD as 500GB is overkill consider having between 60-64GB for the OS and data and the 2TB for data only and backing up important data off the SSD,
Did you format and partition the SSD before installing Window 7? http://images.crucia...1.0_english.pdf
Dependant on the outcome of the above yes a bare-bones set-up may be required for trouble shooting purposes.

cgarretson

cgarretson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
the drive came right from their shelves out of the static-free packaging, so im assuming that its all good to go. 500 was the only size they had on a SSD sadly. and no i didnt have any way of partitioning a drive or formatting it in any way. how can i do this without having a second computer?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I hope I am not the bearer of bad news but this from your first post

Just got the parts today, assembled, double checked, flip the power, and all the fans spin(5) and the front LED fan lights come on, only to spin for 5 revolutions only to just turn off and power down. Whats the deal?

and then to this

Right when i noticed what i did the cup fans powered up and the 2 LED's at the bottom stayed lit (normal) ]

cpu?

and then to this

plugged n the drive and nothing happened, fans spun maybe 1/4 a revolution and stopped... as before. i checked my MB cords so i didnt have a repeat offender here, and started it back up. Windows loaded to where i got the the "windows loading flag" and it cut out. now it wont do anything over just spinning the fans 1/4 a revolution and going back to the 2TB doesnt help at all either.

SUGGESTS that you MAY have, I am sorry to tell you a serious problem.
It maybe that the CPU was damaged by heat if the CPU fan was NOT connected, or any ONE of another three or four possible errors in the build.

I really appreciate that this is NOT what you wanted to hear.

I would now recommend as Phillpower2 said earlier

Dependant on the outcome of the above yes a bare-bones set-up may be required for trouble shooting purposes.

First remove the MB and do a bare-bones set-up on a piece of cardboard (make sure it is larger than the MB) only connect the PSU, the GFX card, 1 stick of Ram and the keyboard.

Finally I wish you good luck this may help
http://www.geekstogo...r-own-computer/

an excellent guide written and imaged by two of GeekstoGo Staff members. Troy and Artellos

Edited by Macboatmaster, 02 September 2011 - 01:57 PM.

Advertisements

cgarretson

cgarretson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
The first issue was that i didnt have the CPU cord plugged in, my idiotic mistake but i did have the CPU fan plugged in the MB. And i made sure the TIM is placed surely on the CPU as instructed in another guide, so there shouldnt be an issue there. I'm hoping that i dont have to shell out another $300 for a processor, ill post an edit on my findings tomorrow as its 3am here. but thanx for the insight, and if it comes down to it a new i7 may be on its way *sigh*

*edit pt.1* ok it got it working from bonestock MB and i have Windows 7 Ultimate pretty much installed, however, the product key i was given in my packaging (from Best Buy) keeps turning up invalid. how or what do i do from here. the only way i think i can get this resolved is by contacting Microsoft directly. does anybody else have any kind of solution ideas?

*edit pt.2* so i bypassed the production validation, and i got my computer running. was able to get online and downloaded drivers and utilities for my MB, GFX, SFX, DVD/B-Ray players, even restarted a few times for it all and it worked perfectly. then it recently shut off without prompting or explanation, what would the cause of this be?

Edited by cgarretson, 04 September 2011 - 07:01 PM.

cgarretson

cgarretson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
so, i have my computer torn down to its basic componets, and its still doing the same thing. CPU fan spins and stops shortly after shorting out the power pins. any idea whats making this faulty?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Well I am sorry to tell you but this MAY prove to be a situation where advice on this site or any other site, is not really going to solve the ssituation.
It maybe that this problem is going to need someone with the components in fromt of them.

Your post 26, the last two paragraphs do not suggest the same problem as your post 27.

I would suggest you go back to the post from Phillpower2 and on the image of the motherboard showing the various connections you then follow the suggestion from Phillpower2 to ascertain if it will stay on with just the bare minimum

I have just read your motherboard manual.
Do not be annoyed but I STRONGLY suggest you do the same.
The board does not need to have pins shorted it is specially equipped with a pwr sw button and a reset sw button.
No more meddling with the power and reset jumpers onboard. The power and reset buttons are already built onboard. It is convenient for DIY users to test the board without short-circuiting the wrong pins.
I suggest you take it from there, one step at a time, because the last para of post 26 tends to suggest a incorrect driver.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 12 September 2011 - 04:44 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Good catch Macboatmaster
Also below that information;

Rapid Debug 3
Rapid Debug3 posts critical POST code information in a digital LED display. When system malfunction occurs, it auto-detects the device’s failure and translates the error codes on the digital LED. It also shows the CPU temperature on the same screen.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Thanks.
It does I think appear that he is shorting the wrong two pins.
We can only hope that he has not, shorted a LIVE to ground.