Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cpu fans and lights flick on for only a second

• Please log in to reply

wigglystuff

wigglystuff

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Mobo: Biostar T series TP67B+

CPU: intel i3-2100 3.10GHz

GPU: EVGA GTX-560 ti

Power supply: 700 W

When I press the power button the lights, cpu fan and the case fans flick on for just a sec and then the computer powers down. The computer is new, I have had it for about 2 months and I had this issue when I first built it. But I left it alone for about 24 hours and then it worked fine. However I had to move and now the issue had returned. All the parts in the computer are new except for the PSU which is a few years old. I tried the paper clip test and I couldn't get the PSU fan to spin. I figure it is a PSU issue but I was looking for a second opinion.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,796 posts
Hi wigglystuff :) sorry to hear you are having issues with your PC.
It is possible that it is the PSU but the paper clip test is not conclusive.
Remove the HDD and test it as described @ http://www.smpspower...rs-pinouts.html
Other possible causes may include a loose connection a memory or add on card come loose or even a keyboard error, open the case and check all internal components are securely seated or connected and be sure to disconnect the power cord from the wall first and observe anti static precautions before reaching inside, you can do this by touching a bare metal part of the case, if this does not resolve the issue follow the procedure below;
Best couple of suggestions I can make would be first remove the MB and do a barebones set-up on a piece of cardboard (make sure it is larger than the MB) only connect the PSU, the GFX card, 1 stick of Ram and the keyboard.
You will then need to short out the 2 power on pins on the MB header to get the PSU to activate, you can use a small flat bladed screwdriver or a paper clip bent into a U shape, this is perfectly safe if you do not touch anything else, the idea is to see if we can get a BIOS screen if you do you can then add one component at a time until you find the problem component, you must power down and remove the power cord from the wall before adding a component, second suggestion try a known working PSU, third suggestion try and loan an ordinary PCI graphics card (not pci-e) again to try and get a BIOS screen.
Other things worth checking include, if you used stand offs beneath the MB are they in the correct locations (only where there is a screw hole in the MB) otherwise the MB will short out, check for stray screws or bared wires for the same reason.
Keep us posted on your progress or let us know if we can assist with anything, what is the brand and model of the present PSU please.

wigglystuff

wigglystuff

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
The PSU is a Xion XON-700P12N. Im going to try some of these options and I will get back to you

wigglystuff

wigglystuff

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
forgive me, im pretty new to this. which 2 pins are the power on pins?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,796 posts
On your MB you will see a front panel header similar to the one @ http://www.google.co...9QEwAg&dur=4073
The power on pins are the ones that connect to the 2 wires that connect to the on button on the front of the PC case.

wigglystuff

wigglystuff

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
ok well i had some free time so i went and borrowed a PSU. the computer booted first try. However it acted a little strange. instead of my regular bios page it shows an error page saying cmos fail. i didn't notice at first and the computer bypassed it and booted windows properly, except that the computer cannot access the internet despite being hardwired.,

Edited by wigglystuff, 27 August 2011 - 03:51 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,796 posts

However it acted a little strange. instead of my regular bios page it shows an error page saying cmos fail. i didn't notice at first and the computer bypassed it and booted windows properly

Check that the silver CR2032 battery on the MB is properly in place, you may also have to reset the time and date in the BIOS, save the new settings (F10) and then Y to accept the new changes, use a new battery if you have one the present one may be bad, let us know how any further testing goes.

Battery .jpeg courtesy of rshaffer61