Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Slow down

• Please log in to reply

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
zip up the file: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP and attach it to your next post. Supposedly one of the crashes left us a present. the error it calls is PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (50)
Invalid system memory was referenced. So some driver is probably writing to a place it shouldn't.

You are still getting registry leaks from: Online Armor, FastBoot & Windows Live.

I see a lot of problems with a game called witcher. Doesn't look like it's happy at all. I get the feeling this is a pirated version.

BITS is complaining that Online Armor is blocking it.

Ron

Advertisements

LANCE_1313

LANCE_1313

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
I've got the log file but even when zipped it's 100mb. What should i do?

What do "registry leaks" mean? Do i need to do anything to the three programs?

Witcher is a new game I installed about 3 days ago. It is a retail copy, with actual CD key. It's my roommates so I didn't buy it but it's legit. To say it's unhappy is a huge understatement. I've been trying to troubleshoot it online and I'm told it's unstable at the best of times. I've attempted to patch it but not even the patches will work. The game is playable though so I'm just going as is. Is this going to cause any problems? As I said, it's only been installed for 3 days and the crashes started long before that.

What is BITS and how can I unblock it? do I need to?

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
I sent you my email address by pm. Attach the file to an email.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
As for the registry leaks: When a program opens the registry to read something it is supposed to close it when it is done but apparently all three programs are not doing it right. This can cause weird things to happen at the next boot since if the registry is not closed when you shut down Windows can't save it. I don't really know what to do with the programs. We have tried the latest versions and they still have the leak. You could report the problem to the makers of the programs. Perhaps they have a fix. OR you could uninstall them. You could try Comodo (just the firewall - don't let them give you a toolbar or an anti-virus.) in place of online armor: http://www.comodo.co...p?prod=firewall You just want the free firewall. I don't think you really need the other two.

BITS is Background Intelligent Transfer Service. It is used by Windows Updates to download stuff when you are not using the internet. You definitely want it to work.

Ron

LANCE_1313

LANCE_1313

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
Ok, after some technical difficulties you should have a transferbigfiles.com notification.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Got it. Now I have to download the symbols for Win7 64bit which will take an hour or so. Initial report so far is that it was a driver error. Something tried to read from a non existent memory location. Have you checked with Windows Updates to see if there are any patches you need? Do the Custom option and it will also tell you about hardware drivers that it thinks you need. The best source of these is your PC maker's website. I haven't had good luck with drivers from Windows Update but it might point you to the right one.

Ron

LANCE_1313

LANCE_1313

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
Normal windows update is up to date. I don't see where to to change the option to custom to see driver updates and I'm not sure how to scan for what needs updating. I've also visited the ASUS site but don't see any options for diagnostic software. There is a list of drivers but i really don't have a clue which to update.

thanks

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Apparently you don't get that option in updates any more.

I'd go to the Asus site and find your PC and download the latest drivers for video and anything else that they offer then compare the dates on the software with the dates on the drivers in Device Manager

(Right click on Computer and select Manage then Continue then Device Manager. Click on the + in front of an item and it will open up and show you what is installed. Right click on an installed item and select Properties and poke around in there an it should tell you dates of the drivers.)

Ron

LANCE_1313

LANCE_1313

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
I now remember why I hate drivers. I tried to update the video driver. There are two drivers listed and both are newer than what i have installed. I can't see any difference between them or why I should pick one over the other. I've downloaded both and tried to use the device manager to update them but in both instances it said I already have a better driver. I've also added the list of 81 available drivers below. I really don't know which ones might be contributing.

EMI and Safety (5)
BIOS (5)
BIOS-Utilities (1)
Chipset (2)
ATK (7)
AUDIO (2)
VGA (6)
LAN (1)
Card Reader (1)
TouchPad (1)
USB (1)
Utilities (17)
Wireless (3)

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Go into device manager and see if it has an older version of your video driver. Usually it will give you the option of reverting to an older version. Properties, Driver, Rollback Driver is how you get there on my XP which is all I have with me on this trip.

IF you have IE9 try uninstalling it. My wife uses IE on my PC and was always getting the BSOD. I used Firefox and never got it so I uninstalled IE9 and went back to IE8 and haven't seen a crash since.

Ron

Advertisements

LANCE_1313

LANCE_1313

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
I've found the driver roll back option but it isn't clickable. I take this to mean there is nothing to roll back to. I previously tried installing the video drivers by using windows update feature but on closer examination they appear to have their own built in setup mode. Should I try this? I think the first method was working because it told me I was up to date and didn't need the driver as apposed to an error message suggesting it didn't work.

I've uninstalled IE9. I use firefox, and I can't remember when I updated it. Probably just autoclicked when windows update told me to do it therefore I have no idea if the onset of symptoms correlates to this install.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Go ahead and try to install the video driver update that you downloaded

LANCE_1313

LANCE_1313

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
When attempting to install either of the suggested video driver updates the setup program has an error and states it is unable to find compatible drivers for this hardware. I am sure that I've downloaded these updates from the correct section of the ASUS website.

Did the dump file tell us anything useful?

thanks again

Edited by LANCE_1313, 20 September 2011 - 04:24 PM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Speccy says you have the NVIDIA GeForce GTS 360M. Is that what ACER offers you? You might try NVIDIA'a website and see if they offer a newer driver.

http://www.nvidia.co...ts_360m_us.html

Not getting much from the dump. Just a Vista Driver error and that something is trying to read where it shouldn't.

LANCE_1313

LANCE_1313

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
I've updated from the Nvidia site and it seemed to work well.

I also had a couple of crashes yesterday. The computer froze again without a BSOD. When rebooting windows needed to use the repair function to restart which was eventually successful.