Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ram upgrade bandwith differences

• Please log in to reply

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
I recently upgraded Ram in my PC,Windows Vista SP2 AMD Athlon 64 X2 dual core processor 5000+ ,started off with 2gb ram in machine,wanted to upgrade to 4gb,bought what specs were shown in Gateways support,pc2-4200 ddr2 dual channel dimms,i bought 2,1gb rams for slots 3 and 4.When i do a check on the ram,it is working fine and recognized as 4gb.Only thing i notice is that with first two original rams,slots 1 and 2,says they are pc2-5300 max bandwith of 333mhz,what they are working at.The ones i put in slots 3 and 4 read at pc2-6400 at max. bandwith of 400mhz,which they are running at,but on package said,they would run at 533mhz.What my concern is,is this o.k. they work at different bandwiths or is there a way,i can change the bandwith to match,without changing ram or is this o.k.,they work at different bandwiths.??I have attached a file,to show you,see what i mean.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
It's fine. The faster memory is designed to slow down to match the speed of the slower memory. You don't need to do anything.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
O.K.,thank you for response,much obliged