Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Will this Video Card be compatible in this PC?

• Please log in to reply

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
The fact that the computer you are looking at now is integrated graphics, will cause no problem.
The other computer, was unless I am mistaken also integrated graphics.
Once you insert the graphics card and connect to that instead of to the graphics on the I/O (Input Output) plate, the computer will use the card.
You may have to disable the integrated graphics in the BIOS setup., but that is a simple procedure.

Re the actual graphics, yes the adaptor will suffice, you need male DVI to female sub D VGA

Please note I have NOT checked the suitability of anything to that computer.

If it were possible, my advice would be to run with the computer and see how things go. Then if your son or you are very disappointed with the graphics, then you can look at a graphcs card and the uprated PSU.
The main reason for this, is as soon as you replace the PSU and the graphics, on a brand new computer, I think you can say bye-bye to any warrantry.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 18 September 2011 - 03:53 AM.

Advertisements

jen147

jen147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
Yeah, I figured we'd void the warranty... but we really don't have a choice. We've ordered the bigger computer for us, but so far we don't have plans to do this for the one we bought for my son. I am feeling ambivalent about this... it's for his birthday which is today and he wants it set up and turned on today... naturally he doesn't want to wait another week or more to get another one... but is that the wise decision. If we keep his as is, we'd never be able to upgrade it if he encountered problems playing games. Then I think it's not worth the extra $50 & hassle to take it back and get the bigger cased computer based on what might happen in the future. Right now his only game interest is Minecraft. Do either of you know anything about that game? I've read some user comments on other websites and they were joking that you could play minecraft on a calculator. He wants to play the Beta version that constantly gets updated.

Any thoughts on this?

jen147

jen147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
Another thought... if we have problems down the road with my son's computer... say it's not running the games he wants to play... then we are stuck with that case because it'll be too late to exchange it at walmart. Could we not just buy a bigger case and take all the components out of the micro acer and put them in a bigger case along with the bigger power supply and graphics card I would then buy for it? Know what I mean? I've looked over the cases and there's so many of them... so many specs that I don't know what they mean?

So I guess 1st question... would that even be possible, can you just transfer existing components into a bigger case.

Second question... what do you look for in picking out a case? I guess it would have to have the right number of USB and SD slots? But just glancing at the specs of some of them they use terms I'm not familiar with so I don't know if it's referring to the slots or not.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
A bigger case is a good option and here is an example http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811119227 always check the details tab so that you know what you are or are not getting in this case (an example only) there are no SD slots but the case will accept the various sizes of MB, adding a multi SD card reader would cost a couple of bucks, there are cases available that have both of the above options.
For the Minecraft question sorry I am not a gamer but this may help http://www.minecraft.net/community

jen147

jen147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
I couldn't get your links to work.

So what you are saying is that if the case doesn't come with the SD slots you can buy the multi card reader for cheap? But that there are cases that do have them. Of course they'd probably cost more. I guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it... it's just so scary to me, or maybe overwhelming is the word... He's not really a big gamer either so that's why I hate to put money into the computer now for something that may not happen. He may never add another game beside Minecraft to his computer and this worrying will be for nothing. That is if his computer will run Minecraft without lag.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

I couldn't get your links to work.

Strange both are working for me (IE9)
I will look for a case that has the SD card reader that you require and add via an edit.

EDIT: Additional information added;
Case: http://www.pixmania....DQ==#pix-review equivelent of $112.29
40 in 1 card reader: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820223103 $14.99

Edited by phillpower2, 18 September 2011 - 11:04 AM.

jen147

jen147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
I think it was my parental controls program... K9. I added the minecraft.net to the allowed and your second link is working now... haven't had time to check out your other info/links... so I got to the minecraft forums and now I'm starting to doubt that the Acer we were wanting to keep for him will work. I posted a question in their support forum and asked.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Ok post back with your thoughts on the other links when you are ready.

jen147

jen147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
I'm thinking about this micro acer we've got for my son... what would you do if you were me?

The case is so small... but it does have a PCI slot for upgrading the video card. So is there better graphics card that I could buy to fit in there? And then there's the power supply... the Corsair was huge and no way it would fit in there... but my husband insists he can install it externally. So would you do this... look for a good graphics card that is smaller in size (if one exists) and install the power supply outside the computer...

Or

Would you just box the micro acer back up and do the same thing we are doing for our computer... exchanging it for the larger tower adding the Radeon HD 5670 and the 500w power supply?

I really appreciate you putting up with me through all this, both of you.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Personally I would think of the future rather than of today and that means exchanging the micro Acer and going the route that you are with the other tower, that said I can look for a low profile video card that will fit in the case and that is capable of running Minecraft, don`t worry we are here as long as you need us and I will post back shortly with the best low profile video card I can find.

Advertisements

jen147

jen147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
I think there is a lot of wisedom in what you are saying... today is my son's b'day... but he is ok with waiting and getting something that will work for us in the long run... so I think that's what I'm going to do... get the bigger tower. It does make more sense. I just don't want to be limited later on. Thanks... I'll post back when we get the new-new computers... because I still want help uninstalling all that trial software they come with.

To be continued...

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
As phillpower2 has said, you do need to think of the future.

I did actually suggest a larger case in my previous post

f the exchange of the PSU and the HD5670 is not an option, then your cheapest option is a new case, but that of course would require a complete build, not to be attempted without due consideration to what it entails

Those small form factor cases are OK, but if you are not well practised in working on computers, you will find everything extremely tight. You even have to be careful with some hard drives, there is very little space.

Personally I would forget any idea of installing the PSU externally.

In view of what you have said about your sons gaming - just Minecraft - I would still tend to run with the other system you linked to, when you found the original tower too small.
Years ago integrated graphic chips were very poor and were never used for any decent graphic, they certainly wwere never suitable for gaming. However technology has progressed and I feel reasonably certain you would not be disappointed with the integrated graphics on your latest tower.

See this it really is GOOD graphic performance for an integrated chip.
http://www.amd.com/u...0g-chipset.aspx

Finally as phillpower2 has said - good luck and we are ready to assist again when you need us.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 18 September 2011 - 12:13 PM.

jen147

jen147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
The acer we are trading to says this:

Connect to a broadband modem with wired Ethernet or wirelessly connect to a Wi-Fi signal or hotspot with the 802.11b/g/n connection built into your PC

Does that mean we won't need that wireless adapter we bought? Sounds like this one is built in, am I misunderstanding it?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
You are correct, if you have a wireless broadband router the PC will connect to the internet through that so the adapter will not be required.

jen147

jen147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
Ok boys, I've got my son's computer up and running... there's several things I'll probably uninstall... but my first order of business is exchanging the McAfee that's already running for Comodo & Avast. How do I go about doing this.. I know from experience that they can be hard to uninstall... I previously had Norton on this old computer and had to go to their site and use some of their uninstall tools.

So as you are uninstalling one and installing the others is there a period of time where you are completely unprotected?

Would you allow the McAfee to stay until the free trial runs out?