Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Verizon Wireless - VZAccess Question

• Please log in to reply

Kasey21

Kasey21

• PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
I was wondering what is the average speed for using Verizon Wireless Mobile Broadband. I am trying to figure out if I am under that mark or not. I really hope so because if not then this internet connection is just way overpriced. I will try to give as much info as I can.

• My VZAccess manager always shows that I have 3 - 4 out of 4 bars when it comes to connection signal.
  • For the D3 Beta opt-in I had a download speed of 78.58 kB/s (643.8 kbps). Max kbps show by VZAccess Manager is 2,403.95 (Not sure what that translates to in kB/s but before I moved I had over 12 mbps - different internet connections ofc).
  • The Verizon USB Modem that I use is Pantech UMW190

Is this normal or do I need to update my driver? If this is normal I am definitely going to get a different internet connection.

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
In most cases wireless broadband is not yet a realistic replacement for more traditional wired broadband. While wireless carriers often advertise high speeds, your actual speed will vary depending on how far you are from the tower (signal strength), time of day (people connected), and maybe most importantly the internet connection at the tower (available bandwidth). I've heard of towers that have a T1 internet connection. While reliable, its 1.5 Mbit/s speed won't come close to advertised speeds with only one user. Even if you have great signal and connect to a tower with great bandwidth, the high latency of a wireless connection will make it feel slower than an equivalent wired connection.

Kasey21

Kasey21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
Thanks for the info. I guess expensive doesn't always mean better :) .